Daily Devotional for December 7, 2013

Job 13:13-15
Be silent now and leave me alone. Let me speak, and I will face the consequences. Yes, I will take my life in my hands and say what I really think. God might kill me, but I have no other hope.  I am going to argue my case with him. But this is what will save me - I am not godless.  If I were, I could not stand before him.

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
“Why don’t you tell me how you really feel!”  If you have not ever uttered that phrase to someone, perhaps it has been expressed to you.  And truly, there are people with whom we can be brutally honest, “vent” and share our innermost thoughts… and others for whom we sugarcoat the situation.  I am truly blessed to have a mate and partner with whom I can be completely honest.  I don’t have to pretend to Greg that I am having a good day when I am not.  I can share my greatest joys with him with confidence that he will celebrate the victories with me.  I can also express my deepest frustration and pain… and he will commiserate and console.  It’s a “no-holds-barred” relationship… and I truly treasure this.
 
I am blessed to share a similar relationship with my best friend Marla Ann… and my cousin Natalie.  Because of our relationship and our “history,” we share thoughts and feelings that nobody else would understand.  We are comfortable being real and raw with each other about what is happening in our lives.  And like the phrase, “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas,” we know we can be completely honest and transparent with each other… and nobody else will ever hear of it.
 
So here we are with Job.  He is being persecuted and tortured with all sorts of afflictions.  And he has decided to ask God exactly why this is happening to him.  Others are warning him NOT to question God… suggesting that he will die for his audacity!  But here’s the thing… Job knows that his only hope is God.  It’s a risk he is willing to take.
 
Now remember, this all happened to Job long before Jesus came to earth and died for our sins so that we could have first-hand access to God.  In Job’s day, mere mortals were not supposed to talk to God directly.  They were expected to talk to a high priest who would intercede on their behalf.  The nerve of Job to think he could just cry out to God and plead his case!  But that is exactly what he did.  And this is what we can do, as well.
 
God is more than our best friend… He is closer than our mate… He is always ready to hear from us - and never betrays our confidence.  God wants to hear how we really feel!  He can take it!  This should be the best news you have had all day!  This should fill each of us with hope and confidence… that God is ready, willing, and able to hear our petitions – and to answer them.  We truly have nothing to lose.  We are not Godless… and He will save us.
 
I am grateful for Greg, Marla Ann and Natalie.  I am glad that God has given me earthly support in the form of these three people.  But I am even more grateful for His love and care… and the promises He has made to me to meet my every need.  So the question is, “Are you ready to take your life into your own hands and lay it on the line with God?”  Is He your hope… your only hope?  Will you be completely honest and open with Him and trust His guidance and care?  Isn’t this a great day to begin?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: