Daily Devotional for December 9, 2013

Lamentations 3:24-26
Deep in my heart I say,
“The Lord is all I need;
    I can depend on him!”

 
The Lord is kind to everyone
    who trusts and obeys him.
It is good to wait patiently
    for the Lord to save us.

 
Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
 
Friends had just arrived for a holiday get-together last night when my mother phoned to tell me that a childhood friend, Darvin, had suffered a heart attack and died.  In June, we said “Goodbye” to Darvin’s brother, Donnie, who died as the result of a cancerous brain tumor.  One month later, Donnie and Darvin’s cousin Kenny died unexpectedly.  These three men, now in their 50s and early 60s, grew up on “my street” – within 2 blocks of my house.  We played together as children… and kept up with one another into adulthood.  Their parents were friends with my parents… and those still living are dear friends to all of even today.
 
My mother was clearly shaken as she delivered this latest news to me, and she mused aloud that she didn’t know how the brothers’ parents would survive this latest shock and the loss of two sons in six months.  I assured her that these dear people are tougher than they realize.  I know that at the end of the day… they depend on the LORD and wait patiently for Him to save them.
 
In the midst of this festive holiday season, where we are surrounded by beautiful decorations, sparkling lights, and more than enough Christmas goodies to eat… even in the middle of a fun, happy evening with friends…people are hurting and suffering.  Devastating, life-changing events are occurring.  Not everything is coming up roses for all people just because it is the Christmas Season.  And yet, the core message of the holidays is that there is hope… that all can be well, even as life crumbles and seems to come crashing down all around us.
 
While my heart is broken for those I love who are suffering such agony and loss, I also am filled with peace and confidence… because I know WHO they trust to get them through this.  And He will do the same for you… whatever you might be enduring.  I pray that this is a season in your life that has little to no commotion… that “Life is Good” for you and filled with happiness and calm.  But in reality, a lot of people are smack in the middle of situations that are anything but reassuring.  They face seemingly insurmountable obstacles…devastating heartaches…incredible loneliness and/or conflict… and there are times when it seems there is no solution.
 
Please read these verses from Lamentations again.  There IS hope in the LORD.  Deep in your heart, don’t you know this?  Do you have the assurance and confidence that God will save you… that He will offer you kindness and answers where you can find none?  If you are not fully certain that God is in complete control… if you lack hope and faith that God is planning a future for you that is filled with joy and resolution… spend some time with Him today.  Search His word and spend time in His presence.  Believe that He is working out a perfect plan for you… one that offers you His peace and comfort.
 
Find God for yourself… and find hope even in the most hopeless of hours.  God is still with us!  God is still in control!  He still loves you… He is still the God of Hope!  Is He yours?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: