Daily Devotional for December 5, 2013

If you do not hear from me again for a few days, it will be because of the ice storm we are expecting - and a loss of Internet service and/or power.  God bless and keep you ... stay safe and warm!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


December 5 ~ Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace
    all who trust in you,
    all whose thoughts are fixed on you!

 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
If you live anywhere in the “Ark-La-Tex”, you probably know that weather forecasters are predicting that we will experience a major winter storm in the next several days… with the primary culprits being freezing rain and ice accumulation…and pipe-freezing cold temperatures (lows in single digits several nights).  We have been warned for days to prepare… to get plenty of food, water, cash (in case there is no power for the ATMs), and gasoline for our vehicles.  People have polished and serviced their generators and kerosene heaters…tree limbs have been trimmed away from power lines in many areas… road crews are already pre-treating certain areas…and the bread shelves at the local supermarkets look like the Apocolypse is approaching!
 
This morning when I awoke, I began to think about all of the “issues” we would have if we lost power.  We have a gas range, but our heat requires electricity.  We could huddle around a wood fireplace, but if we get the single digit temps that are forecast, that would not provide much warmth.  Greg’s mother is elderly and lives alone… what if she lost power, too?  My niece and her husband have three small children… what if they lost power?  As I wrote in my prayer journal, I expressed my concerns to God… but I also told Him that I trust Him to handle these things and the other concerns I have.
 
Greg awoke early this morning and began to think about the winter storm.  He researched portable generators and kerosene heaters…then he left home as soon as he thought stores were open to do a little shopping.  When I realized he was doing this, I thanked God for taking care of my needs almost before I spoke of them!  I thanked Him for giving me perfect peace.  I know the storm is coming.  I realize that we very well may still lose power.  But God has provided for us… and He will continue to do so.  I don’t think it is any accident that Greg purchased the last kerosene heater at one store… or that an ample supply of the very portable generator he preferred was available at another.
 
This is just one more reminder for me to trust in God… to keep my thoughts fixed on Him… to relax a little and rest in the knowledge and peace of knowing that He is meeting my every need.  There are times when things look like they are falling to pieces.  But honestly, this is when God truly “shows out” and does His best work in my life.  I am learning more every day about living in God’s perfect peace.  He is my strength… He most certainly fills me with hope!  What about you?
 
©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: