Daily Devotional for March 14, 2014

Philippians 4:6-9
Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
 
Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
There are days when I think maybe I should have this scripture passage (at least the first part) tattooed on my forearm so that I could see it many times each day!  It seems that many of us (myself included) are just “wired” to worry!  I know…I know…worry is a tool of the devil – a distraction to keep us off balance and out of “alignment” with God.  But let me tell you, this is PROOF that the devil is powerful!  There are many times when I try so hard NOT to worry – with poor results.  I recognize that Satan LOVES this…and it really makes me mad!
 
Still, I believe this is a powerful scripture passage.  In many translations, “God’s wholeness” is referred to as “the peace that passes understanding”.  And I can tell you from personal experience that I know this peace. There have been times when something almost literally took my breath…when I thought I could not bear what was happening in that moment – or beyond.  And at the same time – or even for days to come – I felt an incredible sense of calm and peace.  The only explanation I can offer is that God shielded me.  He made everything work together, settled me down, and allowed me to rest while He did the heavy lifting.
 
I’ll be honest…this passage of scripture comes at the perfect time for me.  I have been allowing some worrisome thoughts to enter my mind and heart.  I’ve been wrestling with some things that I know I should leave for God to handle…and I’ve felt unsettled in the process.  This message is as much for me today as for any of you.  God wants us to stop worrying.  He wants us to present our concerns to Him (even though He already knows them!) and then let them go.  It is God’s desire that we focus on the wonderful things that He has done…the magnificent things that He is able to accomplish…and the miracles He will perform in our lives and those of others as time progresses.  He wants us to believe Him when He tells us, “I’ve got this!”
 
So whatever is troubling you today, shape it into a prayer and give it to God.  Let Him settle you down and fill you with the peace that cannot be explained.  Trust that He truly does have the power – and the desire – to handle your cares and concerns according to His will…which means they will all be managed perfectly. Send the devil and his pack of vicious lies and despicable tools packing…and rest in the power and tranquility of the LORD as He centers your life in Him.
 
Share this good news and encouragement with all you meet.  Operate in compassion for those who are troubled and worried.  Offer them hope by sharing these scripture verses and demonstrating these truths in your own life.
 
Nothing is too big for God to handle.  Isn’t it time we let Him?  Will this be the day that you operate in God’s inexplicable peace?

 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: