Daily Devotional for March 24, 2014

Philippians 4:4-7
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
 
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
I’ve said it before…I come from a long line of folks who could worry as a profession!  Recently, Timothy began testing the almost-5-year-old waters a bit with some antics at school and at home that displeased his parents.  As his mother told me about them one day, I asked, “Would you like for me to talk to him?”  She said, “Yes, PLEASE!”  So we had a little chat about learning to get along with others and how important it was to cooperate…share…and be kind to our friends and siblings.  I told Timothy that I would pray for him and ask God to help him learn to do these things.  And I said to him, “When you say your prayers, ask God to help you be good and get along with others.”
 
Timothy asked, “But God will still love me…right?”  I told him yes…God will love him – but God might not always approve of his behavior.  Timmy can be pretty dramatic at times, and his next comment (in his saddest voice) was, “But if God leaves me…I’ll be all alone!”  I assured him that God will never leave him…but God does want us to behave well and follow the rules. A few nights later, as Timothy said his prayers, he said (again, quite dramatically), “God, if I’m all alone, you’ll come and get me…right?”  Dramatically spoken or not, this obviously tugged at my heartstrings.  Afterward, I assured Timmy that God is ALWAYS with him, and he doesn’t need to worry about that!
 
One of my long-term goals with Timothy, Zola, Nathan – and other children who cross my path – is to continually assure them that God loves them…that He is ready, willing and more than able to handle their worries.  I want these children to grow up full of the confidence that God’s peace will guard their hearts and minds as they strive to live for Jesus.  And it all begins with me and how I demonstrate this in my own life.  If I am continually worried and upset… if I appear to be stressed out over things great and small…if I fail to physically model taking all things to God in prayer – and giving them to Him to handle – I cannot possibly expect these children to do any differently.
 
The same could be said for others whom we encounter.  What do we project to the people we meet?  Do we come across as someone who operates in “the peace that passes understanding”?  Or are we hand-wringers…unsettled people who call ourselves Christians and say one thing…while we act in a way that belies our words?  Are we people who pray about everything and truly give it to God…with thanks and complete confidence that He will answer in a manner that best meets our needs?  Are we at peace…and filled with joy in the LORD?
 
Isn’t it time we took stock of our lives and answered a few of these questions?  Will this be the day that you begin to work on the areas where you worry too much – the unsettled, anything-but-peaceful corners of your life?  Won’t you spend some time in contemplation and praise of a God who can handle EVERYTHING…even the “growing pains” of a sometimes-melodramatic pre-schooler?  God is waiting for us to stop our fretting and settle in with Him.  Will this be the day that you begin?
 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: