Daily Devotional for March 27, 2014

Philippians 4:15-20
You Philippians well know, and you can be sure I’ll never forget it, that when I first left Macedonia province, venturing out with the Message, not one church helped out in the give-and-take of this work except you. You were the only one. Even while I was in Thessalonica, you helped out—and not only once, but twice. Not that I’m looking for handouts, but I do want you to experience the blessing that issues from generosity.

And now I have it all—and keep getting more! The gifts you sent with Epaphroditus were more than enough, like a sweet-smelling sacrifice roasting on the altar, filling the air with fragrance, pleasing God no end. You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus. Our God and Father abounds in glory that just pours out into eternity. Yes.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.


“I’m busy.”
“I’m shy.”
“I’m sick/injured/disabled in some way.”
“I’m too old/young.”
“I’m not very smart.”
“I can’t even pay my own bills.”
“I don’t know what to do.”
“I’m the wrong color/gender/ethnicity…or my political party or sexual orientation are different.”
“I’m not good with people…I can’t write/speak well.”
"There are things in my past of which I am ashamed."
“That’s none of my business!”
“What’s in it for me?”


How many of these excuses have you used to keep from getting involved with others or generously showing them that you care?  If we are honest, each one of us has used some form of one or more of these throughout our lives in order to avoid full engagement in Christian service.  And as a result, we have not only missed out on blessing others…we’ve blocked our own blessings!

Read the passage again.  Note especially the part that says “You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus.”  So every time you offer one of these excuses – or any other – you are essentially saying, “I don’t believe that God can equip me for His ministries and purposes!”  You are denying Him the opportunity to bless you as He meets the needs of others through your efforts.

Sharing compassion and care doesn’t have to cost money.  It doesn’t have to take HUGE chunks of your time.  You don’t have to be able-bodied – or even physically well to offer a prayer on the behalf of someone else…or to pick up the phone or your keyboard and express concern.  Young children can be taught to genuinely ask, “How are you doing?” and to be polite and kind to others.  Older adults can offer encouragement and mentoring to young people - to the best of their abilities.  Most people don’t care what color you are, who you vote for…or who you love – as long as you are showing them how much you care about them!  Your past may be the very thing that equips you to truly relate to - and encourage - someone else!

God equips each of us with special “gifts” for His ministries and service.  The choice to use them for His glory is ours.  But understand clearly that when you fail to show love and compassion to others in Jesus’ name, you are in many ways denying your Christian faith…and you are blocking the blessings that God wants to bring you.  I don’t know about you, but I’ll take every single blessing God has for me…because I am always strengthened, encouraged, uplifted and amazed!  Who wouldn’t want an abundance of these things in their life?!

Let’s all agree that the excuses stop today...here…NOW!  Let’s all get in on this “blessing” thing…let’s encourage and support one another - and glorify God in the process.  Let’s bask in the glow of His blessings and abundance in our own lives as a result.

Will this be the day that you drop the justifications and get busy with the work of the LORD?  Isn’t it time you did?

©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: