Daily Devotional for January 11, 2015

John 14:6
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.
 
The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
It’s an icy day in Arkansas.  Freezing rain has spread across much of the state, and many local churches canceled services to keep people off of slick roadways, sidewalks and parking lots. Better safe than sorry…I don’t think God takes any pleasure in one of his children suffering an injury – or worse – while trying to get to a Sunday church service!
 
A friend of mine whose church services were canceled for today posted this comment on Facebook…”Since we didn't have church this morning.....thought for the day: John 17 tells of Jesus's prayer for His disciples as He's about to leave them. What three things would you pray for your children if you knew you would die in 24 hours?”
 
I had already formulated some thoughts in my head, but they were confirmed when I read John 14:6.  My first prayer would be that my “children” – and other loved ones – know Jesus.  I mean, really KNOW Him!  My second prayer would be that their every word, thought, deed and action would be guided by God…that they would be so in tune with Him through prayer, Bible study and Christian fellowship that He directs their every breath.  My third prayer would be that they always love others as Jesus loves them…that they would be tolerant, accepting, gracious, merciful, compassionate, and forgiving…without exception.
 
I do not fear death – nor leaving others behind.  I anticipate that they will join me in heaven someday.  But if I knew that these three prayers would be accomplished in those I hold near and dear, I would have full confidence and peace in my departure.  With this thought in mind, I am making it my goal to demonstrate these prayers in my own life…to model this Christian faithfulness and discipleship to those in my midst – whether I am here for one more minute or dozens of years.  What about you?
 
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: