Daily Devotional for January 9, 2015

Galatians 2:4
While we were in conference we were infiltrated by spies pretending to be Christians, who slipped in to find out just how free true Christians are. Their ulterior motive was to reduce us to their brand of servitude. We didn’t give them the time of day. We were determined to preserve the truth of the Message for you.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Someone shared a link on Facebook to an article titled “Dear Church, Here's Why People Are Really Leaving You”* Of course, this title grabbed my attention…and I have to say, the article is filled with valid points.  As I read this scripture passage from Galatians, I was reminded of one particular comment made in “Point #5”…
I let you know how judged and ridiculed I feel when I'm with you, how much like a hopeless, failing outsider I feel on the periphery of your inward, judgmental communities, and you proceeded to tell me how "lost" I am, how hopelessly "in love with my sin" I must be to leave you, reminding me that I never really belonged with you anyway. Maybe you're right, Church.  Maybe I am the problem.
We always have to guard our heart – against discrimination and intolerance of others, AND against those who wish to judge us and make our relationship with God look just like theirs or fit their personal agenda. You do not have to “drink the Kool-Aid” for every single idea your fellow church members have. You should not be pressured with guilt or shamed into participating in missions or practices that you know in your heart are not what God has ordained for you.  You don’t have to agree with the pervading positions on politics, economics, lifestyle choices, cultural differences, and more.  Just because “everyone else is doing it” doesn’t make it right for you…even in the church!
 
I encourage you to spend some time in prayer and Bible study and determine “the truth of the Message”…then do everything you can to preserve it.  Honor your relationship with God – and your commitment to Him - by turning a deaf ear to the noise of those who have ulterior motives and/or a personal agenda.  Appreciate that your fellow believer’s “path” may not be exactly like yours…that his/her missions and ministries may not exactly line up with yours – and that’s okay.
 
As long as we are serving God with an obedient, faithful heart, we belong to Him…and God is bigger than any “church”.  If we are the problem – from either side of the equation – it’s time that we made some changes.  This is a good day to begin…wouldn’t you agree?
 
©2015 Debbie Robus
 
*http://www.faithit.com/dear-church-heres-why-people-are-really-leaving-you/.VK7OXdDwj30.facebook

No comments: