Daily Devotional for January 28, 2015

Romans 2:4
Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?
 
The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
When I was much younger, I worked with someone who was not very nice to me.  A co-worker told me one day, “Kill him with kindness.”  This was a new concept for me…and I can tell you, it wasn’t easy to implement!  But this phrase has stuck with me for decades…and served me well in the process.
 
No doubt, you have encountered someone who required a lot of patience, kindness and tolerance.  Perhaps YOU have been the “stinker” who got bigger and better doses of acceptance and generous treatment than you probably deserved.  The questions many ask are…”Why do others put up with this behavior?” and “Why should *I* tolerate a ‘stinker’ in my own life?”  And the answer is…”Because it might make a difference in that person’s life…and/or your own.”
 
God sees potential in all of us.  As long as we draw a breath, it’s never too late for us to change and turn from our sins…and the use of unpleasant words and actions.  If God is loving, kind, tolerant and patient with us, we might actually begin to appreciate His efforts - and desire to try and live up to them.  And the same can be said for those we encounter in our own lives.
 
We need to seriously examine all that God does for us and see where we have failed to live in a manner that demonstrates our appreciation and gratitude.  And we need to make a concerted effort to emulate Him in our treatment of others. Whether they ever change toward us or not, God will be pleased with our actions toward them.  And that really is all that should matter.
 
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: