Daily Devotional for August 11, 2010

Matthew 25:21
"Wonderful!" his master replied. "You are a good and faithful servant. I left you in charge of only a little, but now I will put you in charge of much more. Come and share in my happiness!"

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was a kid, I assumed my paternal grandparents were rich. They grew their own food on their farm – including Black Angus beef. My grandmother made beautiful clothes for herself, my sister and me - and our Barbies! We had a horse to ride, and twenty acres to explore. My grandparents always seemed to live in abundance.

What I could not see as a child was how hard they worked for the things they had. I knew they went to bed right after supper and rose early each morning. I knew my grandmother drove a school bus each day and then worked as a chairside assistant for a local dentist. I knew that each afternoon after she made the return trip in the school bus, she worked in her garden, quilted or sewed, and cooked wonderful meals … often alongside a big vat of dentures she was “setting” for a patient at work! I knew my grandfather got up early each day to feed his cattle … then operated heavy equipment - like road graders and bulldozers - for the county. After work, he came home and tended to his cattle and his crops.

With all of this work, my grandparents still managed to do for others. They were active members of their church. They shared their food with those who were hungry and ministered to sick and needy family members and friends. They always had time for their three grandchildren. And when their home of more than 25 years burned to the ground one December 20th, others came to their side and returned the favor.

Fellow church members who were traveling south for the winter offered their home to my grandparents. A local contractor agreed to put a “rush” on building a new house for them. The church members, family and friends opened their closets, wallets and hearts and “pounded” them with everything from staples for the kitchen to furniture, household items and more. People rallied around my grandmother when my grandfather died in 1984. Since that time, she has lived in the abundance of blessings from friends and family who “see after” her in ways great and small. And at almost 98 years of age, she still returns the blessings by doing for others as much as she can.

Early in their adult lives, God called my grandparents to serve Him … and they answered. God saw how well they did with so little, and He continued to heap blessings upon them. I’m not talking money, cars, lavish homes and opulent wealth. I’m talking about blessings that matter. Because I can tell you with confidence that I’ve been to enough estate sales to know it’s true that “you cannot take it with you!”

What is God asking you to do? Is He starting with something seemingly small? If so, are you stepping up and answering? I promise you, the “assignments” get bigger … but so do the blessings. Living in the abundance of a life spent serving God - in whatever manner He asks – will result in wealth you can’t even imagine … the kind that matters for all eternity. Don’t you want to hear God say, “I’m proud of you … you are a good and faithful servant!”? Don’t you want to share in His happiness? What are you doing today to make that happen?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: