Daily Devotional for August 19, 2010

1 Corinthians 1:17
Christ did not send me to baptize. He sent me to tell the good news without using big words that would make the cross of Christ lose its power.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have to tell you … I am so grateful for www.BibleGateway.org and the numerous Bible commentaries and concordances I own. I can sort of tell you verses from the Bible and that “the Bible says so-and-so,” but I am terrible about remembering where particular scripture passages are located. But with keyword searches and indexes, I do pretty well. I’ve always admired people who can say, “You know, in Matthew 5:12, we read “xyz”, or Psalm 48 tells us …”abc”.

At the same time, I don’t think this makes me less of a Christian because I cannot do this. I may not know - off the top of my head - where certain scriptures are located in the Bible, but I know how to find them! And more importantly, I know how to apply the scriptures in the Bible to everyday situations and, hopefully, share the love of Christ in a way that is meaningful to others.

I know people who can recite scripture and verse all day long, but they honestly appear as if they could care less about really, truly serving others. I know preachers who can deliver a dandy sermon on Sunday … but they are lost as a goose when it comes to meeting the needs of those in attendance the rest of the week. I know Sunday School teachers who do a great job of delivering a Bible lesson, but the other six days of the week they just as well not know the members of their class, for all the time they spend thinking of them, praying for them, and truly leading them in their Christian growth.

You’ve probably been around people who appear to be “good Christians” because they tell you how much they know about the Bible, how often they pray and attend Bible studies, and how much they give to the church. But I believe a really “good” Christian is one who shares the Good News of Jesus Christ in a way that others can readily comprehend. I believe that true servants of Jesus minister and nurture because they “live by example.” In other words, they model the teachings and ministry of Jesus.

Head knowledge and heart knowledge are very different. There’s an old saying that “People don’t care what you know until they know that you care.” What do people know about you? Do they know that you can recite a lot of scripture … or do they know that you are willing to step in and help them with a moment’s notice? Do they know that you are a big financial supporter of the church … or do they know that when they are sick, injured or in trouble, you will be there to do whatever is needed to help them recover? Do they know that you are an excellent speaker who can deliver a devotional, testimony or Sunday School lesson in a heartbeat … or do they know from observation and the things you have shared that you truly “walk the walk” and follow Jesus through thick and thin?

How powerful is the cross of Christ in your witness? Is it masked by fancy words and big talk, or is it laid bare … pure, unadulterated, and holy … for others to truly see? Christ didn’t send most of us to baptize … but He did give us a purpose in ministry for Him. Have you discovered yours yet? Isn’t it time to do so?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: