Daily Devotional for August 21, 2010

Colossians 3:12
God loves you and has chosen you as his own special people. So be gentle, kind, humble, meek, and patient.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I think of living in a way that brings honor to the good news about Christ, I think of a certain woman who attends my church. I don’t know her very well, but she has got to be one of the kindest, most gentle and loving people I’ve ever met. She radiates with a love for Jesus and an abiding faith in Him. She is like a magnet … her spirit is contagious! Just thinking of her makes me smile … and she is almost always smiling!

On the other hand, when I hear the names of a few other people, I feel my skin bristle. It’s as if I know that any encounter with them will be unpleasant, based on past experience. At some point we will disagree, or something will not suit them, and they will let everyone know. I know that these are Christian people who have big hearts and the potential to love and serve God with a gentle, kind, patient spirit. I’ve seen them do it. But more often, I’ve seen them behave in the opposite manner.

You surely know people who are like the lady in my church – you may even know her! You know those who are always gentle, kind and loving … patient and ready to help … and humble. Sadly, you probably know people who are arrogant or spoiled, grumpy … who always have to have their own way, and are restless at best.

If someone lined up a group of people … a mix of both gentle, kind, humble, patient folks and those who behaved in the opposite manner … and then told you that all of these people were faith-filled Christians – disciples of Christ – would you believe them? If you were told to interview each one, and then choose a half dozen or so to get to know better, which ones would you choose? If you were told that you should pick one to be your spiritual friend or mentor … someone with whom to study the word of God and the teachings of Jesus … would you choose the grump? Would you believe what he/she had to say about a faith-filled life in Christ?

Attitude does matter. I’m not saying we should be phony and pretend to be happy and kind when we are not feeling it. But I know for a fact that God can help us overcome a lot of negativity in our lives. He can help us rise above it. He can give us joy and kindness, humility and meekness, gentleness and patience – even when our world seems to be crumbling around us. He can use us to show others how to walk in these traits even when their worlds are crumbling or less than perfect.

So today, I challenge all of us to ask God to help us be more gentle, kind, humble, meek and patient … in all circumstances! I pray that we will all become “magnets” for Jesus … drawing others to us so that we can share His love and the message of the cross. What’s your attitude these days? Are you behaving like the apple of God’s eye … or could you use a little “spit and polish?”

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: