Daily Devotional for August 26, 2010

Psalm 138:8
You, LORD, will always treat me with kindness. Your love never fails. You have made us what we are. Don't give up on us now!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When it comes to imitating Jesus, this scripture passage represents a tall order. If we are truly Christ’s disciples – if we truly imitate Him in our everyday lives, then we have to treat others with kindness. Our love must never fail. That also means we can’t give up on others.

Have you ever wanted to “wash your hands and walk away” from someone? “That’s it! I’ve had it! I’m done with So-and-So!” Oh, how all of us have wanted to utter that phrase … and many do exactly that. And I’m not saying we have to take repeated abuse from someone. We don’t have to be their best buddy, or even maintain continual contact with those who are unkind toward us or ungrateful, disrespectful, a constant mooch, or just plain unlovely. But we still have to love them.

We still have to pray for those who are hard to love. We still have to pray for the alcoholic or drug addict who can’t seem to get it together. We still have to pray for the bully in our class and the deadbeat dad. We still have to pray for those who are abusive or negative, and those who appear to simply be “losers” in life. Because at the end of the day, every single one of these people is as much a child of the LORD as you and I … and precious to Him. And what He has done for us, He can do for them … and He wants to do that and more!

So the LORD, whom we are asking to continue to treat us with kindness… the same LORD we are asking not to give up on us, is the very LORD who loves those we find difficult. We must love them and pray for them and offer reasonable encouragement and support. That doesn’t mean we have to be involved in their lives or their drama … that we have to give them money, or bail them out of troubles, or even necessarily give them our time and attention. But we have to give them our love and prayers … our kindness and the hope of better days and better ways through Jesus Christ.

It’s not always easy. I’ve literally had the door slammed in my face as I tried to help. I’ve been told my encouragement and witness was not welcome. I’ve felt the slings and arrows of others, and I’ve found it very hard to be kind and loving and to sincerely pray for those people. But I’ve seen the results of my efforts and how God can use us. I’ve seen the outcome make a positive turnaround – more than once. And I can assure you, I will never, ever give up on other people. As long as we are alive … and more importantly - JESUS is alive … there is hope and a chance for change.

Who do you need to offer prayers for today? Who do you need to encourage? Where could your kindness make a difference? Who have you felt like giving up on lately? This is the day to change your mind. This is the day to trust Jesus to make a difference … then get busy doing for others what He is doing for you. Sit back and watch Him work, and be amazed at the power of His love and kindness.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: