Daily Devotional for August 9, 2010

Proverbs 17:17
A friend is always a friend, and relatives are born to share our troubles.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This devo begins a group that relate to “Sharing the Good News – and God’s Love,” and it’s probably where you may think I’ve gone to meddling! But I am convinced that many of us have fallen short in this area. I have to believe that when I hear of children who have not spoken to their parents in months, or even years. I know we have grown insensitive and self-absorbed when I hear in the news of someone who died alone in their home from heat exhaustion and malnutrition, because not even their next-door neighbors bothered to check on them. I am convinced of this when I hear in the news of a child who committed suicide because he/she was bullied relentlessly and nobody did anything to stop it.

You can call it what you want … busyness, your own set of troubles, “work got in the way,” or just plain not wanting to get involved. The fact is, we are called as Christians to love one another … and that means we’re going to have to become involved at some point. If you are to love your neighbor as you love yourself, you will have to check on him/her. If you are going to honor your father and mother, you will have to call and visit them once in a while. We’re going to have to look up from our own lives and see those around us – and get busy meeting the needs of others.

Imagine if Jesus had said, “I’m too busy,” or “It’s not my problem… I need to stay out of this.” What if Jesus had held a grudge against His Father and refused to communicate! I know … pretty preposterous, isn’t it?! But that’s what many of us do. We claim to have dozens of “close friends,” but we couldn’t tell you much about the thoughts, dreams, desires and needs of a single one of them. We’re so busy collecting acquaintances, possessions and whatever satisfies our every whim that we often fail to stop and ask, “Lord, who do I need to call today?” or “Father, do I need to reach out to a friend or family member?”

My prayer today is that we would become more genuinely concerned about the welfare of our family and friends. I pray that we would ask God to open our hearts, eyes and ears … that we would see the needs of others – and meet them! If you need help getting started, pick up the church bulletin and read the prayer concerns. I bet there is someone on there you could call, visit, or mail a card of encouragement. Or … read through the birthday list and send someone good wishes to brighten their day. Or here’s a good one … I have a card on my desk that says, “Have you prayed for your pastor today?” Well, have you?

Being a Christian is more than accepting Jesus – or even receiving the Holy Spirit. If you keep everything to yourself, you really have not fulfilled Jesus’ gift. Think of it like a credit card that doesn’t work until you call the headquarters and activate it. It’s time we activated our “Christian card” and got busy using it. Where will you “spend” some of God’s love today?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: