Daily Devotional for August 15, 2010

2 Corinthians 1:4
He comforts us when we are in trouble, so that we can share that same comfort with others in trouble.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One day a young teacher made a comment in the teacher’s lounge about her baby girl. I don’t know what I said to her, but I tried to commiserate, and she wheeled sharply around and said, “Until you have a baby, you couldn’t possibly understand.” It was a cutting, unkind remark, and others in the room were astounded. And for the record, giving birth does not make a woman a mother – and plenty of “dads” never fathered a child.

But this story does have a point. Often, when we minister to people, they don’t believe we fully understand their situation unless we have similar experience upon which to draw. I believe this is why God allows us to endure troubles and tribulations – with His help and comfort, of course. God has used some of the most devastating and difficult experiences of my life to equip me to minister to others who were going through similar circumstances.

I do not say this to brag. I wish I never had to know the sadness and grief of losing my father-in-law, brother, and my own dad … grandparents, cousins and other family members and friends. I wish we had never had to bury our beloved pets. I wish my fellow teacher had not been strangled to death at the hands of her abusive husband. I wish I had never had surgery or a broken bone. I wish I had never had to attend the funeral of a student or watched a loved one succumb to dementia or Alzheimer’s. And yet, these things pale in comparison to what many of you and others have endured.

But because God carried me through all of these situations, when I speak to someone in need or send a card of encouragement, I can assure them with firsthand knowledge that He is with them. They know that I speak from experience, so my words are not merely lip service or “the right thing to say.” I believe that God’s comfort in my own troubles has enabled me to comfort others without saying or doing something stupid … well, most of the time! My experience has taught me how to genuinely share God’s love and peace with others.

Experience bases come with age, and you may feel that you are young and don’t have anything to contribute to others to offer them comfort. And certainly those who are older than I am have a larger experience base from which to draw. But each of us has a unique, God-given perspective on troubles of one kind or another. When we see someone going through a similar situation, we should reach out to that person and let them know that we understand … and share how God helped us through it.

And the next time you start to ask, “LORD, why is this happening to me?” consider this … maybe God is equipping you for ministry to others. I would like to think that something positive could come out of our troubles, wouldn’t you? Every time I share God’s comfort with someone, I feel a little of the pain and sorrow of my own situations lighten a bit. See, God continues to comfort me as He uses me to minister to others. He wants to do this for you, as well. Who will you comfort today? Look around and see needs that you can help to meet in the name of Jesus. Share your comfort with others, and receive a double blessing.

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: