Daily Devotional for February 23, 2013

Romans 15:1-2
Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, “How can I help?”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Someone shared with me that her friend was really hurting after the loss of a close family member. This person said, “It’s all just family drama… but she has a LOT of problems right now.” Knowing both parties well, I quickly pointed out… “She has no more problems than you have… they are just different.” And the truth is that all of us have problems. While it may seem that some have more than others – or that one person’s problems are more insurmountable than those of another – each one of us is dealing with something. And often, the true measure comes not in how many tribulations or troubles a person has… but more in how they handle them.

So when you have your own “heapin’ helpin’ of troubles”… or you have overcome tremendous obstacles through faith in God… and you see another who is struggling to cope…share your story. Say to him/her, “I know this is not the same thing, but when XYZ happened to me, this is how God helped me handle it.” Or tell the person, “I can see that you are hurting, and I get it. I’ve been tested. And I can tell you that God is still on your side.” Show the person whose faith is faltering that God does answer prayers… that He does bring us out of tests, trials, and great big messes… that nothing is impossible with God – or too difficult for Him to handle.

Be prepared to “put your money where your mouth is.” Don’t be one of those people who asks, “How are you?” as you walk away or start talking about something else. Ask…and wait around for the answer! Be engaged and present in the conversation. When you offer to help someone else, mean it. Show up! Be ready to work! Say what you mean and mean what you say! You may have had other plans… you may be in a hurry at the grocery store when you encounter someone who wants to tell you a litany of troubles. But you may be the very presence of God for that person in the moment. Convenience is not always a part of the mature Christian’s vocabulary.

Almost two decades ago, I wrote a book called What to Say and Do… When You Don’t Know What to Say and Do. This book was born out of more than one situation where I heard the sentence, “I just didn’t know what to say or do” uttered… and the person chose to say and do nothing. Even a simple “I’m sorry,” or “I’m here” – or even better… “I’m praying” beats that! I discovered that a lot of loving, kind, well-meaning Christians simply didn’t know how to handle a lot of situations in everyday life… but I’d met several who did. So I wrote a book and shared what I observed in others that worked… and what works for me.

The point is that we have to be prepared to stand up and be accountable to God by being available to help others. We have to offer grace, mercy, love, forgiveness and encouragement to those who truly need it… and we often have to be awake and alert to spot them! We must be willing to set aside our own agendas in order to help a friend. In doing so, we are saying, “LORD… I’m here… send me!” You can see that to do nothing gives God the opposite message!

So what will you do? Will you sit back and do nothing? Will you “rest on your laurels”… bask in your own salvation and let someone else see to the needs of others? Or will you step up and share the tremendous gift of Jesus Christ by lending a helping hand to those in need? Your problems may be huge… you may need help yourself. Sometimes, in order to receive help for ourselves, we must first be willing to give a hand to others. Are you willing to do this? Are you looking after the good of others in Jesus’ name? Shouldn’t you?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: