Daily Devotional for February 5, 2013

Luke 11:2-4
So he said, “When you pray, say,

Father, Reveal who you are. Set the world right. Keep us alive with three square meals. Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others. Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Yesterday, I purchased some things for my niece and nephews at a Facebook online garage sale. I told the seller I would get them later this week. She responded and asked if she could bring them to me that same day… her bank account balance was under $15, and she needed money for food. Stop and think about it… imagine being down to your last $20 – and hungry. I wonder if this woman prayed yesterday morning for God to keep her family alive with three square meals. Clearly, He did exactly that!

I’ve also been posting an ad on Facebook for my nephew… advertising that he will do odd jobs - like yard work - to support his family. Believe me when I say that we have prayed for God to provide steady work. Literally every time my nephew runs out of work, someone else calls and says, “I need you.” This is clear evidence of God’s love and care.

These are just two ways that God has revealed who He is to me lately. This model prayer that Jesus provided us seems so simple… but it is rich with wisdom and promise for us. God will show us who He is… reveal His power, love, grace, mercy and forgiveness – if only we will ask. He will keep us safe from the devil’s temptations. Notice that it doesn’t say we won’t be tempted… but God will protect us from falling for the devil’s tricks.

If we humbly admit to God when we fall short, He will forgive us. Through His love and mercy – and by the power of His Holy Spirit – we can, in turn, offer forgiveness to others. I don’t mean to belittle God’s incredible love and care, but the old adage that “what goes around, comes around” seems to apply here. When we respectfully bow before God and ask Him to meet our needs, He will do exactly that! And when God blesses and cares for us… and forgives us of our sins and misdeeds… we must do the same for others. I was truly humbled to think that my measly purchase might have been the answer to a mother’s prayer for money to purchase food. I am incredibly blessed and grateful to all who have answered the ad and given my nephew work. God reveals himself to us when we ask… and lately, He has given me abundant evidence of His love and care.

One other thing… the God who blesses and forgives us so mightily deserves our service. He also deserves our praise and honor. When God meets your needs as you have asked, remember to thank Him. Share the GOOD NEWS with others. Tell everyone you can how God has blessed your life… and how He can – and will – bless theirs, as well. When you ask God to show up in your life - and you give Him the glory and credit for doing so – amazing things happen. Are you getting in on all of them? Isn’t it time you did?

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: