Daily Devotional for February 28, 2013

2 Corinthians 2:6-7
Most of you opposed him, and that was punishment enough. Now, however, it is time to forgive and comfort him. Otherwise he may be overcome by discouragement.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

One evening this week, Timothy did not want to eat dinner. After a few bites, he declared that he was done and ready to play. I told him we would set a timer for 5 minutes, and he could play…but when he heard the “beeps” that five minutes had passed, he would return to the table. He agreed to this. Of course, three-year-olds agree to a lot of things! When the timer sounded, Timothy was not ready to return to the table. I told him that we had an agreement… and he could either return to the table or sit in the “naughty chair.” He chose the chair. I could see that he thought he would sit and watch television there, but I changed the channel from NickJr to the local news station. He burst into tears.

We sat for a few seconds… probably not even a full minute, and then I scooped him up and hugged him. He said, “I’m mad!” I told him I understood, and he added… “I’m mad at myself for sitting in the naughty chair.” I reminded him that he could choose behaviors that would avoid the chair in the future. Then I held Timmy in my lap and fed him the rest of his dinner… and he nearly cleaned his plate. We did not have another problem the rest of the night.

Mealtime is a learning experience. We are all working together to teach the children that we sit at the table as a family and eat at the appointed times. We do not nibble here and there and then run off to play. We also don’t carry food into other rooms and eat it there. And so far, the results have been mixed… although I would say we are making progress. I believe this is because when we do have to chide and chastise - or mete out consequences - we are quick to offer forgiveness and comfort.

I’ll admit… it’s very hard to stay upset with these precious children. All they have to do is look at me with their innocent, sweet faces, and I’m a goner! But I wonder…are we as loving and forgiving with others as we are our little ones? Shouldn’t we be? “But they are old enough to know better!” you’re probably saying. And you are right! But how many times have you done something you knew you shouldn’t… and as much as you regretted it afterward, there was no way to turn back the clock… maybe even as recently as today?

The point that the Apostle Paul is making in this passage is that we must have consequences when people misbehave or sin…but we must also be willing to forgive and help the person move forward, if he/she is truly repentant. If we don’t offer compassion and empathy, we are setting others up to ask, “What’s the use? I’ll never get it right. I may as well quit trying.” Two things happen here… 1) Satan dances with delight; and 2) we fail to extend to others what God grants to us each and every day through the blood of Jesus Christ.

How do you love others? How are you loved? Ask God to give you the wisdom, strength, courage and compassion to lovingly forgive others… then hearten them to do better and overcome their weaknesses once and for all. Consider how God loves and forgives you… how Jesus suffered and died on the cross for this… and pay it forward in His name. Be the person who stood by someone when perhaps nobody else would… and helped to make the difference in his/her life. Thank God for offering you a second chance – and be ready to do the same for others. On any given day, each one of us deserves to spend time in “the naughty chair”… but none of us should be deserted there!

©2013 Debbie Robus

No comments: