Daily Devotional for January 24, 2014

John 6:35-37
Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don’t really believe me. Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don’t let go.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

There is presently a Facebook challenge circulating where “friends” are posting: “To start this year off in a loving way I'm participating in the Pay-it-Forward initiative...The first FIVE people who comment on this status with ‘I'm in’ will receive a surprise from me at some point in this calendar year…anything from a book, something homemade, a postcard, absolutely any surprise! There will be no warning and it will happen when the mood comes over me and I find something that I believe would suit you and make you happy. These five people must make the same offer in their FB status and distribute their own joy.”

This idea sounds great…five people do something nice for five people who do something nice for five more people…you get the idea.  But why stop there? Why only do something nice for the first five people who comment?  Are they truly the ones who need a “nice surprise” in their life?  Why not look around your everyday situations and find people who could use a lift…a note of encouragement…a phone call “buddy check”…a meal…help with an errand or chore…or another gesture that says, “I care about you!”…and put Christian love and compassion into action?

In this scripture passage, Jesus says, “I am the Bread of Life.  The person who aligns with me hungers no more and thirsts no more, ever.”  Jesus adds that once that person is with Him, He will hold on and never let go.  I keep hearing Jesus say, “I am for EVERYONE!  What I offer one, I offer ALL!  I will never EVER let you go…you can always count on me to love you and care about your every need! I know you don’t seem to always believe this, but I am telling you…take this to the BANK!”

Are we like Jesus?  Are we modeling His discipleship and compassion?  Are we offering His “Bread of Life” to others in the form of conscious efforts to make their day better introduce them to His love and care in action?  Or are we waiting for people to come to us and say, “I could use a hug…a handout…support in some manner…”?  Have we made a convincing demonstration of love and compassion to others?  Do they believe that we really care…or do we only meet the needs of those select few who raise their hands and voices and say, “I’m in!”?

Suppose Jesus said, “I will meet the needs of the first five people who come to Me and say, “I’m in”…and His efforts to “feed the sheep” stopped there?  Suppose He never expended any energy to pursue those “on the fringes”…those with great needs who never asked for help – for whatever reasons.  Suppose His salvation, love and care were not all-encompassing…or eternal!  Because we have been so blessed…because of the heritage we are given in Christ Jesus…we should be eager to share our gifts with others.  In doing so, we essentially say, “I love you and care for you with the love of Christ, which is fully and equally available to you!”

If you want to participate in this Facebook challenge, by all means… go for it!  I do not mean to criticize this concept.  But I dare you to go even further… to embrace the love of Christ that has been extended to you… and to “pay it forward” to those who may least suspect that someone else cares - but are the ones who need to know this the most!  In doing so, you will truly extend Jesus’ offering of the “Bread of Life”.  In return, you will “hunger and thirst no more” for His love and blessings.  Whaddya say…are you “in”?

©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: