Daily Devotional for January 8, 2014

Matthew 14:13-14
As soon as Jesus heard the news, he left in a boat to a remote area to be alone. But the crowds heard where he was headed and followed on foot from many towns. Jesus saw the huge crowd as he stepped from the boat, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
 
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
I’ve got a news flash…it’s not all about YOU!  “It” is also not all about me or anyone else.  I get it…we’re all busy.  We all have things we would like to do with our lives – or even a spare hour or two.  There is nothing wrong with enjoying a hobby…working hard at your job or something that interests you… or spending time watching your favorite programs or movies and having some “couch potato” time.  God wants us to enjoy our lives. At the same time, we have been called to serve as Disciples of Christ.  This means we must model His behavior and the examples that He provided for us.  And the one documented in these scriptures leaves no room for doubt about what we are to do when we see a need.
 
Jesus had just heard about the beheading…yes, beheading…of His beloved cousin, John the Baptist.  He was understandably grief-stricken…disheartened...and weary.  He simply needed to be alone.  Haven’t you felt that way at one time or another?  All you needed was a few minutes, an hour, or a day to be alone…to pour out your heart to God…to cry, rage, kick and scream, if need be…to process all that has happened and come to terms with your feelings.  Remember, Jesus came to earth as a human being…His emotions were real – even raw.  He needed “alone time” with God, just like we do.
 
Still, when the crowds pursued Him…when He learned of a need…Jesus set aside His own agenda and went to the people.  He healed the sick…He comforted those who were hurting…He ministered to each person in His midst and put their concerns ahead of His own.  And He gave us an example to follow.
 
Trust me…I know how hard this can be.  I have grumbled (even if only inwardly) as I trudged off to help someone with something that interrupted my plans.  I have dragged myself to funerals, nursing home visits, events that were more important to someone else than they were to me, errands, and more.  I have had to force myself to sit at the desk and write a get-well or sympathy card…or to offer to help someone out when I really wanted to keep my mouth shut and do something that was more enjoyable.  We all probably secretly wish that people could get sick and die on OUR schedule…that we could pencil them in on a day when sitting at the hospital, babysitting, rescuing someone whose car broke down or they locked themselves out of the house or vehicle…even running an errand or working a funeral into our morning or afternoon…was more “convenient”.  If you want to pretend you don’t feel this way… go right ahead. I’m just being real here!
 
But then I stopped and asked myself… “What if I went to God with a need or concern, and He was too busy to answer or help me?”  What if God said to us, “I’ll get back to you…I’m in the middle of a good book this afternoon”, or “I don’t have time today…maybe tomorrow”, or even “I know you need me, but I am really just not ‘up for it’.  Maybe someone else will step up and help you.”  Can you imagine how hurtful this would be?  Do you think you would want a relationship with God if He was only available when it was convenient for Him or piqued His interest in some manner?  Who wants a relationship with anyone...much less a God…who is so selfish and unloving?
 
Tell me what, exactly, is so important in your own life that you cannot find time and energy to help someone else!  Truly, God has a full plate.  He is the only One who could genuinely say, “I don’t have time for that today” or “I’m simply ‘not in the mood’ to help.” Yet God is the very One who will never say this!  We need to ask ourselves… are we really interested in serving Jesus – and serving others in His name?  Or is it simply all about us?  Maybe it’s time we all re-evaluated our level of Christian compassion…and made some much-needed adjustments.  Isn’t today a great day to get started?
 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: