Daily Devotional for January 27, 2014

Galatians 5:22-23
But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.
 
Legalism is helpless in bringing this about; it only gets in the way.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Recently, I spoke with several girls who are members of a “small group” ministry hosted by my church.  Since these girls are all high school seniors, the girls’ leaders had asked me to address the question, “What do you wish you had known when you were 18?”  The first thing I listed was how I wished I had understood more fully just how much God loves me…that I had truly comprehended His grace, mercy, forgiveness and compassion for me.  While those who nurtured me in the first 18 years of my life loved God and meant well, much of my teaching was based in fear and an image of God – at least in my mind - as a strong disciplinarian (think lion tamer with a chair in one hand and a whip in the other!) who was watching and waiting to cast me into hell at the first misstep.  The girls got quite a laugh when I said that the phrase “You’ll go to hell for that!” rang in my head much of the time.
 
It wasn’t until much later in life that I truly learned just how much God loves me… even when I screw things up – as we all do from time to time.  I told the girls I wish I had understood that people make mistakes in life…it’s part of how we grown and learn.  While this is not a license to sin or do things we shouldn’t…it is important that we realize that God can forgive and restore us…He has no desire to see any of us punished…much less condemned to hell for all eternity.  By the same token, I didn’t have a clear understanding of how the Holy Spirit works.  Most of my childhood, we heard of the “Holy Ghost”…and it was in a vague, sometimes eerie context.  I did not understand that the Holy Spirit’s presence in our hearts equips us with compassion, holiness, affection for others, the ability to discern God’s wisdom…and so much more.
 
I shared with the girls how I have come to recognize the Holy Spirit’s presence… how He has calmed me in situations that almost literally took my breath…how He has shrouded me in peace and confidence when there was no “legal” – or human – explanation for the presence of either one!  And I tried to convey to them how helpful it would have been to fully understand – and acknowledge – the Holy Spirit’s manifestation in my life when I was their age.  It would have made a lot of situations easier…answered a lot of questions…and equipped me to handle many things far better than I did.
 
We talked about how so many people have opinions these days about what the girls should do with the rest of their lives…which college they should attend…what they should choose for a major…even which dress they should wear to the prom!  Everyone has an opinion…and while many are offered in love and genuine care, the ultimate decisions reside with these girls.  I encouraged them to think for themselves… to listen to the advice of others - but to lean on the Holy Spirit for guidance…and to understand that they don’t have all of the answers yet – and they aren’t supposed to at this age!
 
In short, my message to these girls is the same missive I give to each of you today…and serves as a reminder to myself, as well:  The “world” can tell you a lot of things.  The “legalism” of right and wrong can serve us just fine.  Etiquette and a societal “moral code” can help us figure out what to say and do in many situations.  But ultimately, the guidance that will supply us best comes from God…often through the manifestation of His Holy Spirit in our lives.  When we listen to the Holy Spirit and operate in God’s will, we don’t have to operate in fear or uncertainty.  We are equipped with a true sense of “affection for others, exuberance about life…and serenity.”  We truly develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of gentleness and compassion in the heart, and a true understanding of holiness and self-control.
 
While I wish I had fully understood some of these things when I was eighteen, I honestly have no regrets.  God has directed each day of my journey.  Even when I didn’t fully recognize His presence – or that of the Holy Spirit – He was with me.  But I could have been more compassionate and caring at times…I could have been less fearful and more confident…and “marshaled my energies” more wisely.  And this is my challenge for all of us…to take whatever time we have left on this earth and make the most of it as we live God’s way.
 
If we start every day by asking God to show us what He wants us to do…and call on His Holy Spirit to fill us and guide our steps…we can proceed with confidence that we are operating in His will – and producing “good fruit” in the process.
 
Whose “laws” are guiding you today?  Will you listen to the “legalism” of today’s society…or will you be guided by the gentle whisper of the Holy Spirit?  Will you operate in God’s grace, mercy, forgiveness, and compassion…and share these “fruits” with others?  Or will you strike out on your own…and take your chances?
 
©2014 Debbie Robus

No comments: