Daily Devotional for February 16, 2015

Hebrews 4:12
What God has said isn’t only alive and active! It is sharper than any double-edged sword. His word can cut through our spirits and souls and through our joints and marrow, until it discovers the desires and thoughts of our hearts.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I’ve watched several “reality shows” about people who live “off the grid” in Alaska. Much of their time is spent stockpiling and preparing food…not because they are gluttons, but merely enough to survive the harshest part of the winter months.  In one episode, a couple had pretty well depleted their supply of meat, and there were still several weeks of winter left.  So they decided to go ice fishing.

The layer of ice atop the water was several inches thick.  Yet the couple knew that fish were swimming underneath.  If they could just penetrate this thick ice and drop some bait, they might be able to snag a few fish to sustain them for a few more days/weeks.  So they used picks and saws and created a hole in which to drop a line with some bait to lure fish underneath.

This is a rough illustration of how God works in our hearts. He knows what lies deep within our hearts. He also understands that many of us have built up a thick layer of defenses - and to some degree, we have hardened our hearts toward Him. We don’t receive all that He wants to give us. He cannot reach us without some pretty drastic measures.

I don’t know about you, but I’m glad that God’s word is “sharper than any double-edged sword.”  I take comfort in knowing that He will go to such great lengths to pursue me…that He will even cut through my spirit, soul joints and marrow to touch the innermost depths of my heart.  I am in awe of such love and care…and when He “drops the bait”, I will gladly grab His “hook”!

Unlike the people who fish for meat to sustain them through a long winter, God does not need ME…but man-o-man, I surely need HIM!  So as He reaches out to me, I will gladly grab hold of His hand and hang on for dear life!  Even when I build a thick, icy wall of defense, God can still reach me.  And I am ever so happy to trust this.  Aren’t you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: