Daily Devotional for February 18, 2015

Isaiah 53:6
We—every one of us—have strayed away like sheep! We, who left God’s paths to follow our own. Yet God laid on him the guilt and sins of every one of us!

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

We have all heard stories of people who were falsely accused of crimes they did not commit – and imprisoned for them – only to be acquitted through DNA testing years later.  Sadly, I am sure that some of these persons were never vindicated…and some probably were put to death.  I’ve seen television interviews with more than one victim of false accusation…and many have looked their accusers squarely in the eye and forgiven them. While some of those who pointed the finger genuinely believed they “had the right guy”, I still marvel at the grace and compassion of the accused who could say, “It’s alright…I understand…and I do not begrudge you.”

Were I to cause someone else to take punishment that he/she did not deserve, I imagine that I would be greatly grieved by this.  And hopefully, you would feel the same way.  But we don’t seem to understand that this is our exact relationship with Jesus!  All of the horrific things that happened to Him are a direct result of OUR sins and wrongdoings.  While none of us would stand up and say, “HE did it!  Punish HIM!”…this is essentially what we do every day.  God sent Jesus to take our sins…to stand in the gap for us and take on our guilts – and the consequences.  And Jesus says, “It’s okay…I still love you.”

I am astounded that someone to Whom I have been so ugly could be so loving and kind.  I cannot comprehend the grace, mercy and forgiveness of Someone who suffered so greatly in my stead.  I cannot fathom that He would want a fellowship with ME!  But this is in fact the case.  We – who left God’s path to follow our own – are loved, loved, LOVED by Him…and He is available to us 24/7! 

Let this soak into your soul today. As you make the choices of your day, consider the ramifications – and consequences – of each. Think of Jesus suffering for your guilts and sins…and check your words and actions accordingly.  God is always with us...even when we are acting in a manner that causes Him to suffer.  Don’t you think we owe it to Him to at least try to live up to His love and care?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: