Daily Devotional for February 27, 2015

Jeremiah 31:33-34
Here is the new agreement that I, the Lord, will make with the people of Israel:

“I will write my laws
    on their hearts and minds.
I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.

“No longer will they have to teach one another to obey me. I, the Lord, promise that all of them will obey me, ordinary people and rulers alike. I will forgive their sins and forget the evil things they have done.”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This morning on Facebook, I read a sweet essay about the history of aprons…why people wore them and the many uses they have. I can still picture my Mam-ma Polly in her apron.  She rarely set foot in the kitchen without first tying one around her waist.  And many of the purposes listed for aprons in this essay were lived out by my grandmother.

In recent months, I’ve begun to wear an apron more often…not because I’m getting old and turning into my grandmother - at least not in the way you think!  I’ve found that many of the advantages an apron provides are legitimate…from keeping your clothes clean to providing a handy “potholder”, pocket, or place to wipe your hands.  And every time I wear an apron, I feel my Mam-ma Polly’s presence.

This is how it is for us with God.  There have been people in our lives who have introduced us to Him…there are plenty of resources for Bible study, Christian fellowship, and service.  The formal “lessons” may have changed – or ceased altogether.  But God’s presence prevails.  Like the apron we tie around our body, God’s love and care surround us…remind us of the lessons He has given us…and protect us from the “dangers, toils and snares” of the world.

When you think about it, an apron is a pretty basic, universal item.  All kinds of people from all walks of life wear an apron…for a myriad of purposes.  God’s love and care are totally like a “Spiritual apron”…available to the ordinary and rulers alike…”one size fits all”.  This versatile, protective garment is the right accessory for virtually any situation…and a wonderful reminder that “I am your God – and you are my people.”

You may not wear an apron in your everyday life…but if you aren’t covered by God’s “Spiritual apron,” you are missing out on the blessings of His covenant and the promises He has given us.  Will this be the day that you “put on an apron” and feel God’s presence?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: