Daily Devotional for February 7, 2015

2 Timothy 4:1-5
I can’t impress this on you too strongly. God is looking over your shoulder. Christ himself is the Judge, with the final say on everyone, living and dead. He is about to break into the open with his rule, so proclaim the Message with intensity; keep on your watch. Challenge, warn, and urge your people. Don’t ever quit. Just keep it simple.
 
You’re going to find that there will be times when people will have no stomach for solid teaching, but will fill up on spiritual junk food—catchy opinions that tickle their fancy. They’ll turn their backs on truth and chase mirages. But you—keep your eye on what you’re doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God’s servant.
 
Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
Several months before my Mam-ma Polly moved to an Assisted Living Facility, I had to tell her that she could no longer make peanut brittle – her “signature dish” – by herself.  I allowed that she could possibly make the candy when another adult was there to do the heavy lifting while she supervised.  She reluctantly agreed…but I also knew that she continued to stir up a batch of the molten-lava-like substance when I wasn’t around…whether others were present or not.
 
During this time, I spotted not so much as one peanut or a bottle of corn syrup in her house…yet I could smell the freshly cooked candy as soon as I entered her garage.  I heard “through the grapevine” about the box of this delectable treat that was mailed to a friend in Missouri shortly before Christmas. She made little “aside” comments about the candy she had given to her hairdresser and others…and I knew the sweet treats didn’t make themselves!
 
When I read this passage, one line stuck out to me…”God is looking over your shoulder.”  God sees us when we think He is not watching…when we dabble in things we shouldn’t – even if those things are “church things” – like the latest craze in worship music or Bible study/teaching…or even catchy concepts like “prosperity religion” that are considered acceptable by many.  God sees us when we judge others – both publicly and privately.  He knows what is in our heart about EVERYTHING!  This should make us think twice about many of the things we say and do…but sadly, many of us are able to momentarily put Him out of our mind.  Just as my grandmother did as she pleased when I was not there to fuss at her…we often pretend that God is not there and go on our merry way.
 
But here’s another “take” on this sentence…and the one that really resonated with me today.  God is looking over your shoulder!  So when I am wondering which way to turn…He’s right there to guide me.  When I am sick and need a healing touch, God is already providing it.  When I enjoy the warm sunshine of a beautiful spring-like day in early February and almost feel giddy, God jumps for joy right alongside me.  I don’t have to wonder where God is.  He is looking over my shoulder…carrying me when my burdens are too heavy to bear alone… reveling in my victories and sharing my happiness.
 
As humans, we all have moments when we wish God would look away…that He would not see what we were about to do or hear the words that we were speaking.  But aren’t we glad to know that He is always there?  In the long run, doesn’t it give you hope, peace and joy to know that God is looking over your shoulder?  And doesn’t it strengthen your resolve to please him – always and in all ways?  Will this be the day that you renew your commitment to do just that?  Don’t you think it should be?
 
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: