Daily Devotional for February 6, 2015

2 Timothy 3:16-17
The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right. It is God’s way of making us well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone.
 
The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
Before noon today, I had already searched the Internet for answers to a couple of questions…”Why isn’t my garbage disposal draining properly?” and “Is it safe to take OTC cold medication after the expiration date on the box?”  Without a second thought, I find myself turning to Google to solve many questions that arise each day…and I bet you do, too!  We have become accustomed to hearing “I saw this on Pinterest”…or “I learned how to do this on YouTube!”
 
Don’t you find it funny that for the really important questions in life, we often stumble around, wring our hands, and wonder what we should do?  While the Internet has wonderful tools for answering virtually any question, a lot of the answers to issues of the heart and soul will point you back to a resource you have most likely had in your possession all along – God’s Word. Websites like http://biblegateway.com can help you find the scriptures that answer these questions more quickly…and I encourage you to use them.  But at the end of the day, the response to many of our truly important questions…the guidance that will make us “well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone” is right in front of us – or on our desk, a nightstand, or bookshelf.
 
When Greg and I went to college, the Gideons handed gave each student a small Bible that contained the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.  We still have those little Bibles today.  Inside, there is an index for scriptures that address such things as…where to find help when afraid, anxious, backsliding, bereaved, faith fails, friends fail, leaving home, lonely, thankful, weary, worried…and many more.  There is an index for scriptures on Christian virtues and character that leads to passages on everything from abundant life and cleanliness to honesty, labor, obedience, perseverance, sincerity, and victory.
 
Even with the Internet, I still find this “hand-held device” to be invaluable.  I cannot count the number of times I have used this little “Gideon Bible” to find God in a specific set of circumstances.  I encourage you to pick up a Bible – or to use one of the Bible resources online – and see for yourself how God answers the questions of your day.
 
You can argue whether the Bible is literally the word of God…or His inspiration through those who wrote it.  For me, the answer that matters is that God uses the words of this Book to guide my daily living.  I may not figure out how to unclog my disposal or plan a Valentine party …but He will show me how to find the answers to these questions – and so much more – with grace, patience, and confidence.  The ultimate “Search Engine” is right in front of you.  Isn’t it time you opened the Book and discovered God’s answers for your life?
 
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: