Daily Devotional for July 15, 2015

Romans 8:3-4
We aren’t saved from sin’s grasp by knowing the commandments of God because we can’t and don’t keep them, but God put into effect a different plan to save us. He sent his own Son in a human body like ours—except that ours are sinful—and destroyed sin’s control over us by giving himself as a sacrifice for our sins. So now we can obey God’s laws if we follow after the Holy Spirit and no longer obey the old evil nature within us.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This is a crazy hectic week at our house. Vacation Bible School started Sunday night.  I am leading “Junior Crafts” - which translates to 4-6-year-olds (pre-K, Kindergartners, and soon-to-be-first-graders). These are “my people,” and I am at home with them!  Timothy, Zola and Nathan are all attending VBS with me, and we’re having a great time.  Additionally, the children are spending Mondays and Fridays at our house this month…AND…we started daily swim lessons on Monday morning.  Yes, I know, I was crazy to schedule swim lessons the same week as VBS…but it was all our instructor had available.  So we are making it work!

I have to say, we have ALL been very tired.  Night-time VBS, which is the trend in recent years, is tough on already weary kids AND adults.  And though some of the children nap in the afternoons, some of the older ones like Timothy fight tooth and nail to stay awake and avoid the slumber that could relieve some of their weariness. And this can lead to some pretty frustrating “meltdowns” and pointless conversations.

Today, as we drove home from swim lessons, Timothy became very upset with his younger brother, Nathan...“because Nathan thinks that Batman and Superman aren’t friends…and everyone knows that good guy superheroes are all friends with each other and should be nice to each other.  He is making bad choices, and he needs to stop it!”  This went on for more than 5 minutes (but it seemed like 30!) before I convinced Nathan that perhaps it would be best if he agreed that his superheroes were friends with each other…and I redirected the children’s attention to another topic of discussion!

When the children get so tired that they are what I call “punch drunk”, i.e. rambling about nothing that makes sense and on the verge of a huge meltdown, I know that there is no way that they are going to be reasonable.  All bets are off!  Rules are out the window at this point, because I know that they are not going to be on board with following them.  And the ride home from swim lessons today was one of those times.  I knew that the best thing I could do was maintain some semblance of order and drive the children straight to their grandmother’s house, where they were spending the afternoon. 

As I read this scripture passage, I could almost hear God saying to His children (each of us), “Oh, good grief!  You children are never going to resolve this, so I best get on with it and send my Son to fix things.”  I love my niece and nephews with all my heart. Sometimes when they are tired and acting out, one of them will ask…“Are you mad at me?” or “Do you still love me?”  And the answer is always “No!” to the first question…and a resounding “Yes!” to the second.  And so it is with God.  In fact, He loves us SO much that He sacrificed His only Son - Jesus - to save us!

God knows that we can’t keep the rules…that sometimes life is so convoluted and challenging that we get “punch drunk” and teeter on the verge of a royal meltdown.  So He sent Jesus to die for our sins…to regain order and control for us and set us on the right course.  There will be times when we all get a little weary and fall short.  But those of us who choose to follow Jesus can be assured that He will always steer us in the right direction - and keep us safe from the harm of Satan and his agents.

I hope and pray that our little ones know how very much Greg and I – and so many others – love them…that they trust us never to steer them wrong…that they feel safe and secure – and protected.  Someday they will learn that the grownups in their lives don’t always have all of the answers – at least not the right ones.  But by then, I pray that they will know Jesus as their “Forever Friend”…and that they will have learned to rely on His Holy Spirit to control and conquer the evil nature that is present in each of us. And I pray that YOU have made this choice, too. 

Timothy was right about one thing this morning…we do need to make good choices…and the best choice that we can make is to follow Jesus.  Who have you chosen to follow and serve?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: