Daily Devotional for July 25, 2015

Colossians 3:12-14
So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I have a serious allergy, so I wear a medical alert bracelet any time I leave the house.  I wouldn’t dream of going away from home without this “allergy bracelet”…and the two or three times that I have forgotten to wear it, I felt almost naked.  Last year on my birthday, my cousin gave me a slender leather bracelet that is stamped with the words, “only love today.”  This is supposed to remind me that love is what really matters.  Again, I rarely leave home without wearing this bracelet, either.

As for “all-purpose garments,” we probably all have one or two favorite items in our closet.  But on any given day, our attire can send completely different signals to the world.  When we are “dressed to the nines,” people may think we are either 1) going somewhere fancy; or 2) “putting on airs”…when in fact, we just felt like dressing up – or we felt that a nicer outfit boosted our mood.  If we are dressed in shabby clothing, people may mistakenly decide that we cannot afford nice clothing…or that we don’t care about our appearance…when all we had in mind was working in the yard or cleaning our house!  Our “garments” and appearance say a lot about us…and not always what we intended!

I will admit that I often spend too much time trying to figure out what to wear.  I heard evangelist Joyce Meyer talk about this once, and she said she very clearly heard God say to her, “Oh, good grief, Joyce…just put on something and GO!”  This has resonated with me…particularly in light of this scripture passage.

If what we choose to “put on and GO” is God’s love, we will never be dressed improperly.  If we remember to put on the “hats, scarves, bracelets and earrings,” of compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline, even-temperedness, contentment and forgiveness, we will always be in style and ready for anything.

When people look at us and see these characteristics that clearly define the life of Jesus Christ…they actually see Him - through us.  Isn’t that our goal?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: