Daily Devotional for July 7, 2015

Hebrews 11:13-16
Each one of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. How did they do it? They saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world. People who live this way make it plain that they are looking for their true home. If they were homesick for the old country, they could have gone back any time they wanted. But they were after a far better country than that—heaven country. You can see why God is so proud of them, and has a City waiting for them.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by perission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

A few weeks ago, a friend posted pictures on Facebook of a family member’s graduation.  This graduate was the grand-daughter of some dear friends of my Mam-ma Polly.  She considered this couple and their children to be “like family.”  I commented that Mam-ma would have loved the photos and seeing this beautiful young woman.  For a brief moment, I was sad that I couldn’t take my phone and share these images with her.  And this is one of many times I have thought, “I must tell Mam-ma”…or “Wouldn’t Daddy love to see the great-grandchildren do XYZ”…or “How I wish Greg’s dad had lived to see a particular change in our community.” 

It seems like I frequently have experiences that I wish to share and/or enjoy with a loved one who is already in heaven.  And yet, I realize that there is not a single event that would be worthy of their return.  They would not come back to this earth for all of the celebrations and momentous occasions in the world…because Heaven is just that much better. I honestly believe this.

This scripture passage tells us that those who truly trust in God and believe in His promises don’t put a whole lot of stock in earthly events.  There are countless wonderful, exciting, exhilarating events in our lives…winning contests or receiving awards…graduations…first jobs…engagements…weddings…first homes…the birth of babies…and so many other milestones and special occasions. But none of these compares to what awaits us in Heaven…and I am 1000% confident that those who have already been received into Jesus’ arms would not even think of returning to earth for something they have “missed.”

You’ve probably heard people say that the more people they “lose,” the better Heaven looks…that they now have more loved ones in Heaven than they have on earth.  And I will admit that I look forward to Heaven a lot more now than I did a few decades ago before so many friends and family members passed.  But here’s the thing…God doesn’t want us to live in the land of “Woulda-Shoulda-Coulda.”  He doesn’t want us to put too much stock in the things of this world…but He also doesn’t want us to have regrets.

God wants us to live every single minute of each day with purpose…confident that we are hearing from Him and operating in His will.  He wants us to be busy doing what He has planned for us…accomplishing His goals and sharing the love, grace, mercy and forgiveness of Jesus Christ with everyone we encounter through our words and actions. When He gets ready for us to join Him in Heaven, He doesn’t want us to spend one second thinking, “But I haven’t seen this”…or “I haven’t done that!”  God wants our faith to be so strong and unwavering that we say, “If You’re ready for me, LORD…then I am ready to come Home to You!”

It takes a lot of faith to say this…and also to live with focus and intention in the days that we have been given on this earth.  Where do you stand?  Are you looking – and living – for your true Home?  Isn’t it about time you started doing exactly that?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: