Daily Devotional for July 17, 2015

Romans 8:26-30
In certain ways we are weak, but the Spirit is here to help us. For example, when we don’t know what to pray for, the Spirit prays for us in ways that cannot be put into words. All of our thoughts are known to God. He can understand what is in the mind of the Spirit, as the Spirit prays for God’s people. We know that God is always at work for the good of everyone who loves him. They are the ones God has chosen for his purpose, and he has always known who his chosen ones would be. He had decided to let them become like his own Son, so that his Son would be the first of many children. God then accepted the people he had already decided to choose, and he has shared his glory with them.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This morning, it hit me that I had not offered more than a quick prayer to God in the last several days.  When I would notice someone on Facebook who was ill or having surgery…or hear that someone I knew lost a loved one…I would say a quick, “LORD, please be with So-and-So.”  I prayed for a couple of dear friends who are battling cancer…and for my mother and her husband as they traveled to a family reunion.  And I prayed several times that the children would take good naps or be in good moods! 

I often use my workout time in the pool as “prayer time”…a block of almost an hour when I can fully just be with God as I move around in the water.  But pool time this week was spent getting Nathan used to the water…and playing with Timothy and Zola after their swim lesson.  And as I read this passage again today, I felt God saying, “I’ve gotcha!  I’ve known your thoughts and understood your intentions…and it’s all good.”  God knows that I love Him…and I love my time of meditation with Him.  But He has also felt my silent prayers…the thoughts that I couldn’t put into words.  I know that He has strengthened me and lifted me countless times in just this week…and that gives me tremendous comfort and encouragement.

There have been a few public and personal situations lately about which I have not really had a clue how to pray.  Some left me completely numb…while others, like the Charleston and Chattanooga shootings, left me confused.  How do you pray in these situations?  What do you ask God for, aside from comfort for those who are grieving?  How do you talk to God about the assailants…and how do you ask Him to help you sort out your feelings about it all - and continue to represent your Christian faith well?  For many, it’s a huge dilemma.  Yet Paul tells us that God knows us by name…and He understands our thoughts, our fears, our challenges, and our deepest conflicts and confusions.

This is a message of hope and encouragement.  To think that we can be so real with God that we need not be ashamed when “life” gets in the way - and for whatever reason, we aren’t able to fully verbalize our thoughts and feelings to Him - is incredible!  Of course, we should not make this a habit…but isn’t it wonderful to know that Someone loves us so deeply and profoundly that He can read our minds and act on our behalf, even when we’re not really sure what we need?!

Do YOU know God in this way?  Have you given your heart to Jesus and surrendered completely to His will?  Do you have this intimate connection with Him…and do you truly feel it?  Will this be the day that you “come clean” with God and lay it all on the line…that you say to Him, “Here I am, LORD…warts and all…can you fix me?”  Will this be the day that you trust Him to do this…and so much more?  Don’t you want it to be? 


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: