Daily Devotional for July 5, 2015

Hebrews 11:1-2
The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Last night, Greg and I sat on a blanket in our friends’ back yard, which overlooks the lake that surrounds our community.  We were joined by many members of our family, including both of our moms, my mother’s husband, my niece and her husband, and of course – Timothy, Zola and Nathan.  Dear friends joined us, too.  We all sat and watched as spectacular fireworks shot high into the air and exploded over the water, making a scene so amazing that Timothy kicked his legs and said, “I can’t stand it!  It’s sooooo beautiful!”  And for that moment, all was right in my world.

I’ll admit…this was a hard week for me.  My faith was challenged when people who I know in my heart are Christians said or did things that were, at best, judgmental…and some of them were downright unkind, unloving – and untrue.  This was a hurtful week…and I asked God over and again why and how people could harden their hearts so profoundly to His truths and promises.  I’ll be honest…I can barely watch the news these days, because of all of the hate, bickering, dissention and fearmongering that is reported upon each day.

I learned many years ago that we cannot always see how God is working…or when He will act in certain situations.  I accepted that there will be some changes I may never realize in my lifetime…and that this does not bear any reflection on God’s love for me and others. 

But as I sat on the blanket last night with Greg and all three little ones - surrounded by family and friends - I felt such a sense of calm, peace and joy.  I felt God saying, “This is all going to be okay.  You have so much to live for – so much of my love and blessings to share with others.  And I am not about to let you down now.”  I slept well and awoke with a new perspective.

Yes, there are things we cannot understand.  Surely people will say and do hurtful things – even “good Christians” – and they will sometimes knock the wind out of us momentarily.  But because of our unyielding faith and trust in an unseen God…and our confidence that He is caring for our every need…we will get up and move forward through another day. 

God’s firm foundation does indeed make every day of this earthly life worth living…and the hope of heaven even sweeter.  Like a little six-year-old boy’s reaction to spectacular fireworks, the thought of all that God has promised is truly so beautiful that I almost can’t stand it!  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: