Daily Devotional for July 31, 2015

Ephesians 4:25-27
What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ’s body we’re all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself.

Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don’t use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don’t stay angry. Don’t go to bed angry. Don’t give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

My mother always taught me that “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”  At the other end of the spectrum, my Mam-ma Polly frequently seemed to operate more in the “speak your mind now and worry about the consequences later” mode. And I think there is room for a healthy balance between these two stances.

I try to be very fair and balanced with others…particularly as I write these devotionals.  I understand that not all people believe as I do on a variety of subjects…and that’s okay.  But I have found that often, when we sit quietly on the sidelines, others wrongly assume that we believe exactly as they do…and that we fully support their expressed opinions.  And this can be hurtful to everyone.

A few weeks ago, I was attending a meeting in which some comments were made that deeply wounded several people…including me.  The persons who made them initially assumed that everyone in the room felt as they did…so they “went at it” with wild abandon.  I’ll admit…I initially willed myself to stay quiet.  But then another lady spoke up and explained why she disagreed with what was said…and one by one, more of us spoke up and expressed our feelings.  I wish I could say this made a difference…that the ugly talk was stifled.  But it wasn’t…and some of us came away more offended than anything else…but yes, we were angry, too.
  
The anger and disappointment affected me in a profound way…but I did not seek revenge. I prayed…a lot.  I asked God to show me how to overcome my feelings of resentment toward those who spoke their own truth…to keep me from allowing the devil to have the last laugh in this.  And He has done this.  I am at a calm and peaceful place where I can actually encounter these people and not feel antagonistic – or even judgmental of them.  I didn’t come to this resolution overnight, but I am grateful that God has begun to heal my heart.

I am also glad that I spoke out.  Otherwise, I think I would have always felt a little ashamed…like I was living a lie by allowing others to assume that I agreed with them on this issue.  And I’ll admit…speaking honestly about my views on several political and social issues has “cost” me some friendships...or at least greatly changed how we interact and the frequency of our contacts.  And that is unfortunate…but also freeing.  Let’s be honest…living a lie takes its toll.

I hope and pray that I am never judgmental or rude…that I don’t “speak my mind” to someone in such a way as to anger or offend them.  By remaining truthful, I trust that God will bless my efforts and soften the ears of those who hear my words, so that they accept them – and me – in the spirit of Christian brotherhood and sisterhood.  I’ve tried to “sugarcoat the truth” before in an effort to spare another person’s feelings.  And I can tell you, when this backfires (and it often does), it’s a royal disaster!

At the end of the day, our only responsibility is to please God…and remaining truthful honors our commitment to Him.  By seeking His wisdom and guidance as we speak the truth, we demonstrate our faith in Him to handle how our words are received…and put the devil in his place simultaneously!  Honesty IS the best policy!  How truthful are you being these days?

  
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: