Daily Devotional for September 12, 2015

Matthew 9:10-13
Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew’s house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus’ followers. “What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?”

Jesus, overhearing, shot back, “Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: ‘I’m after mercy, not religion.’ I’m here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I’ll be honest…I’m a cat person.  I love, love, love dogs – and pretty much all animals (except snakes!)…but “cats are my ‘people’!”  It’s safe to say that I have probably never met a cat I didn’t like!  My mom and mother-in-law are dog people.  My mother-in-law has not owned a dog in years, but she “dog-sits” for about a half dozen special clients…and she LOVES “her” dogs.

Three dogs have resided with my mother since the late 1980s…first Otis – my sister’s white lab, who totally transformed my mom into a “dog person” for life.  Next came Carmen – my brother’s pit bull mix – who was like a “sister” to our family.  After Carmen died, Mother acquired Spot…who was her constant companion for 14 years and kept life interesting for all of us…until his mixed-breed body literally wore out this past January.

I loved all three of these dogs like family members.  And I really like a lot of other dogs…particularly big dogs.  But some of the smaller dog breeds are just not my cup of tea.  For one thing – and maybe this is just me – some of them have a smell that I cannot get past.  So when one of these little dogs who was visiting Greg’s mother made a bee-line for me and jumped up into my chair to readily sniff me over, I was not exactly thrilled.  But I looked into that sweet little face…the big, imploring dark eyes, and the cute little ears that raised and lowered expressively - and I reminded myself…”He is somebody’s everything.  This little guy is loved and adored by many…if not by me.  He has a heart, and right now, he’s chosen to share it with me.”  And I stroked his head and patted his back as he settled in beside me.

The little dog curled up in my lap and sat for several minutes before jumping down to explore other people and things in the room.  And as I read the scripture passage for today, I was reminded that we are all God’s children…even the “snakes” that scare us half to death, and the critters of all kinds that “smell.”  If we only ever hang out among those who are pleasing to us, we’ve missed the moment – and the mission!

If we “unfriend” everyone on social media who rubs us the wrong way, we’ve missed an opportunity to share Jesus’ love and mercy with them.  If we avoid those who are different from us in some way, we have not loved and ministered as we were commanded.  Remember...you and I may “smell” to someone else!  Consider how you would feel if the tables were turned!

I suggest that we all take a collective breath…and try to see the “other guy” as Jesus does – even the smelly little four-legged variety or the creepy snakes and spiders that slither and crawl beneath our feet.  Remember that we are all His creatures…precious to Him and worthy of grace, mercy, love, forgiveness, compassion, and inclusion.  What you do for the smelliest among us, you essentially do for Jesus. 

Now…who do you need to look at in a different light?  Will this be the day that you begin to widen your circle as a disciple of Christ?  Don’t you think it should be?

   
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: