Daily Devotional for September 14, 2015

Philippians 4:8-9
And now, brothers, as I close this letter, let me say this one more thing: Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about. Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This morning as I skimmed through the posts on Facebook, I learned that the brother of one of my elementary school classmates has died.  I sent a note to this sister to offer my condolences…and to share that in just a few days, it will be 17 years since my own brother left this earth.  I recalled memories of  fun times we shared with her brother.  I wanted her to know that I understand the heartache of losing a sibling…and I told her that I am praying for her peace and comfort as she grieves. 

This is a lot of what Paul was talking about in this letter to the people of Philippi…that we are to offer others God’s “peace that passes all understanding.”  I cannot tell my friend how she will survive this and recover from the grief and sadness…but I can assure her that with God’s help, this IS possible.  I can share how He helped me through a similar situation…and I can offer her love and support in the name of Jesus.

I said that I skimmed Facebook, because honestly, that’s what I do now.  There is so much garbage on my wall…so many negative posts…such ugliness – particularly from “Christians” who believe that they are right and the rest of the world is wrong and destined for the fires of hell.  One of my friends has begun posting photos of beautiful art.  Someone else asked, “Why is he doing that?  He doesn’t even know this artist!”  I told her it was to counter all of the unloveliness that fills our screen…and I am grateful for it!

We don’t need to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that unpleasant things never happen.  I am not implying that we should ignore injustices…or that we should not stand up for the teachings of Jesus.  But what many are labeling “Christian values” are not from Christ…they are man-made rules and impositions that mere mortals want to see enacted – misinterpretations and downright manipulations of the words and commands of Jesus – and they are highly destructive to the creation of an atmosphere in which the peace of God can flourish.

Let’s take some time to study this scripture passage and fully grasp the message that God delivered to us via the Apostle Paul.  Let’s focus on the good, pure, lovely, fine things that God has done for us…the beautiful accomplishments of His people - in ways both tangible and understood.  Let’s reach out to others with a heart of peace and comfort...and let’s encourage one another and speak in hope, joy, and truth.  We must start to ignore much of the “junk” and negativity that clutters our minds via media and pessimistic (if not downright destructive) people.

Fix your thoughts on what is true, good and right – and operate in the joy and peace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.   Let’s start a wave of positivity…and allow others to see the REAL Jesus in us.  Are you with me?

   
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: