Daily Devotional for September 30, 2015

Romans 13:9
In the Law there are many commands, such as, “Be faithful in marriage. Do not murder. Do not steal. Do not want what belongs to others.” But all of these are summed up in the command that says, “Love others as much as you love yourself.”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One of the best – and possibly the worst – inventions to come into my life in a while is the smart phone.  This device is all in one…telephone, computer, camera, e-reader, and more.  I can shop online with it, get my weather forecast and check local radar, receive alerts about everything from flash floods to the latest sale at my favorite clothing store, read dozens of newspapers and magazines, and map my next trip. If both parties have FaceTime, it is even possible to “see” who I am talking with while we converse. This little device that almost fits into the palm of my hand has simplified and enhanced my life in countless ways…and it is rarely far from my reach.

At the same time, the phone has been a handicap, because I also spend a lot of time looking at it…checking e-mail and social media or the local weather information.  So I will admit that we can use the phone for our benefit…or sometimes for our detriment.  Sometimes, it’s good to pick up a book or a newspaper and read the printed word.  We need to engage in one-on-one conversations with others…and go outside and check the weather for ourselves.  The smart phone is not intended to completely replace these things…but rather to tie them all together neatly to our advantage.

In the same way, the command to “Love others as much as you love yourself” is all encompassing.  This doesn’t mean that we no longer care about the Ten Commandments…or any of Jesus’ teachings in scripture.  This doesn’t replace the charge to “honor your mother and father” or to “remember the Sabbath.”  Rather, this commandment ties everything together in one directive that serves as a checkpoint for all thoughts, words and actions. 

All we have to do is stop and ask ourselves…”Does this demonstrate love for others?  Is my thought kind and productive?  Does what I am about to say or reflect how I would want to be treated?  Would I feel loved if someone said these things to me…or acted in this manner toward me?  Am I about to honor God in XYZ?  Will it bring glory to His name and show my respect and obedience?”  If we answer in the negative to any of these questions (and a host of others), then we have OUR answer - and a change in our attitude and action(s) is in order.

This command to “Love others as much as you love yourself” is something like our “Heavenly smart phone.”  If we spend even a fraction of the time focused on it as we do our physical electronic device, we will be far better for it.  Have you checked yours today?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: