Daily Devotional for September 13, 2015

Numbers 23:19
God is no mere human!
He doesn’t tell lies
    or change his mind.
God always keeps his promises.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Greg and I have developed a bit of a running joke where I’ll say, “I’m going to the pool today to work out,” or “I’m going to the grocery store”…and he just laughs. Sadly, in my “retirement years,” I often operate by the “Scarlet O’Hara philosophy” that “Tomorrow is another day!” - and procrastinate about such things! 

We humans are full of promises and grand plans.  We promise to love each other “till death do us part.”  We are the kings and queens of “I’ll get back to you.”  We vow to work out, change our diet, and get our bodies into shape.  We promise to “do better” about all sorts of things…to be more committed to everything from keeping in touch to exercise programs to prayer and Bible study - and serving Jesus.  And then we don’t change.  Often, something – or someone - comes along to distract us and/or grab our attention…and we totally ditch the promises we had made with such conviction.

Thankfully, this scripture passage hits the nail on the head…God is no mere human!  Gratefully, I can assure you that God doesn’t tell lies or change his mind…that God always keeps His promises.  And before you present an argument otherwise, let me share a few thoughts.

I know that there are horrible things happening in our world.  I realize that people have been displaced and abused…that children are hungry, frightened and homeless.  I understand that terrorism, sickness, crime, drug abuse and alcoholism are real.  I know that relationships are failing…that people lie to each other when the truth would serve them better…and it seems like God has totally turned His back on many of us on any given day.  But nothing could be further from the truth. 

This week, as we remembered the tragic events of 9-11, a lot of people asked, “Where was God that day?”  Some who survived claimed that God spared them…that He made them late for work or put them in another spot as the Twin Towers crumbled.  Others asked, “If God spared those people, does this mean that He didn’t care about the ones who perished?” 

There are no easy answers for a lot of the things that happen in this earthly life.  But I know with all my heart that even in our darkest hour, God is with us. I told a friend who expressed some of these “9-11 questions” that they may fall into the “I’ll-get-the-answers-in-Heaven” category.  I know that God will have answers.  I have experienced too much of His grace and mercy in my own life - and seen His hand of power, healing and compassion in the lives of many others – to doubt His supremacy.  I am certain that God is truth and fulfilled promises and steadfastness on a supernatural level.  And I know that He offers all of this to each of us…if only we will trust Him.

So as “bad things happen to good people” and you struggle with the frustrations and disappointments that other humans deal to you (while probably reciprocating with a few of your own), remember that God never changes.  He is with us…readily available to help us through anything and everything.  God never changes.  And while tomorrow is indeed another day, He stands ready to meet us right where we are in this one!

   
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: