Daily Devotional for October 1, 2015

Romans 14:1
Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don’t see things the way you do. And don’t jump all over them every time they do or say something you don’t agree with—even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

My mother posted this Facebook update today…

My first visit today to oncologist… He is still in discovery concerning my status, but I begin chemo next Thursday. I will have it every three weeks—for ?   In the meantime, a PET scan and a port are both scheduled. It's a gorgeous fall day here; I feel good; I feel strong - and today is all we have. God metes out our time moment by moment - and I intend to enjoy it that way.
This was not the news we hoped for…the doctor says that Mom must start treatments right away.  My mother, who is a ROCK, appears to be handling this news very well, given its seriousness. Others – some of whom I thought were also “rocks” – have fallen apart already. Even more are numb and cannot wrap their brains around these facts, while a few are either carrying on as if nothing has changed – or they have had a total “meltdown” and cannot seem to function.

I don’t know what all of this means.  I have no clue what lies ahead for my mother – or for any of us.  She is right…today IS all we have. So why are we spending it worrying about how this one or that one reacts to devastating news?  More importantly, why do we all waste precious time and energy fussing over how people worship…pray…study…witness?  Because I’m here to tell you, when my mother gets in that “chemo room” next week and they hook her up to a “cocktail” of drugs designed to kill the beast, she will sit alongside many other people who are facing a similar challenge.  And there is a very good chance that they will all be trusting God to see them through each and every minute.  How they get there…how they talk to Him and the rituals and practices they go through to communicate with Him and put their trust in Him will not matter one whit.  All that will matter is that God metes out their time moment by moment…and they trust Him to do so.

Can we all agree to be kind and gentle with those who fall apart at the first hint of devastating news?  Can we refrain from judging those who appear stoic and seem to just move right on with life as if nothing has happened?  Can we open our hearts and minds to the possibility that God speaks to each of us differently…that He understands our reactions, considers our “history,” and loves each and every one of us fervently?

Can we understand that not everyone is at the same point in their faith walk…but that doesn’t mean that they are not on the right road?  I can almost guarantee you that my “path” looks nothing like yours.  Some of my “prayer times” each week occur while I work out in the community swimming pool!  I sometimes sit at my piano and “communicate” with God. I frequently write out prayers in a journal.  Others keep copious notes, read daily devotional books every day, light candles, and talk to God in a totally different way.  And God hears all of us!

As my family begins this journey, I respectfully ask that you pray for my mother – and for all of us – using whatever method and manner with which you are comfortable.  I am committed to accepting the reactions of all people to this news…and doing my dead-level best not to judge any of them.  Likewise, I plan to renew my determination not to judge others – for anything - but especially for how they worship God or where they are in their journey to know Christ better.  Would you care to join me?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: