Daily Devotional for October 28, 2015

John 16:33     
I have told you all this so that you will have peace of heart and mind. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows; but cheer up, for I have overcome the world.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of TyndalePublishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I will tell you, I have almost stopped watching the news.  Everywhere you turn, there are heartbreaks and heartaches…wars, mistreatment of others, and injustice and indignities that at least ought to curl our hair!  Just in the last few days, I have learned of the death of two 15-year-old football players in a nearby town – the result of a car accident that left four others injured (some critically).  I’ve heard about several people who have cancer or serious illnesses and injuries, the incredible mistreatment of a misbehaving teenage girl in a South Carolina classroom, and the ravages of war in the Middle East. 

It’s enough to make us nauseous…to cause us to throw up our hands and ask, “LORD…where have You gone?”  And the short answer is, “Nowhere!  I’m still right here.”  So this begs the question…”Why?”  And John 16:33 provides the answer.  Jesus has overcome the world.  The things that rattle our cages and upset us…the words and actions that dare to rip out our hearts and cause us to doubt and become discouraged…are all part and parcel of this earthly – and often evil – world.  And Jesus overcame them all.  He died on the cross and took sin upon Himself, so that we have the chance to leave all of this behind someday…and bask in His glory in Paradise.

I don’t mean to sound the “Gloom and Doom Alarm!”  There ARE good things happening in this earthly life.  We just have to dig a little deeper sometimes to find them.  Just today, I attended the adoption hearing for a toddler placed in foster care with a family who is “like family” to Greg and me.  In his closing statements, the judge noted that he and his co-workers see and hear terrible things in the courtroom…stories of abuse, neglect and horrific injustices.  And he stated that days like these are a joy to them.  To see a child who is so obviously loved and well-attended…who is thriving in her new environment and has every prospect of a wonderful and happy life…gives them hope and renews their efforts to serve all children.

And so it is with us. This verse in John 16 should serve to bolster our courage and our hope. Our faith should be renewed, and we should be reminded to worry less and pray more - to allow the Savior who has conquered this world to handle it and the challenges that are offered…because He truly can! 

I cannot say that I am not affected by the trials and sorrows of this earthly life, because as a human being, I simply am.  But I can give them to God to handle and trust Him to do so.  I can live in faith and joy that my future – the one that really matters – is secure, peaceful and perfect.  I can cheer up…and spread the Good News.  And so can you!


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: