Daily Devotional for October 9, 2015

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
I will say this: because these experiences I had were so tremendous, God was afraid I might be puffed up by them; so I was given a physical condition which has been a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to hurt and bother me and prick my pride. Three different times I begged God to make me well again.

Each time he said, “No. But I am with you; that is all you need. My power shows up best in weak people.” Now I am glad to boast about how weak I am; I am glad to be a living demonstration of Christ’s power, instead of showing off my own power and abilities. Since I know it is all for Christ’s good, I am quite happy about “the thorn,” and about insults and hardships, persecutions and difficulties; for when I am weak, then I am strong—the less I have, the more I depend on him.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My childhood friend, Becky, battled breast cancer for more than five years before it claimed her life.  She told me often, “People want to ask, ‘Why me?’  I say to them, ‘Why not me?’”  Becky had a very practical and faith-filled attitude about the “beast” that would ultimately deplete her strength and end her earthly existence. ABC television broadcaster Robin Roberts wrote a book about her own journey with breast cancer… a rare blood disease that resulted…and the death of her mother.  The title is Everybody’s Got Something.

The point is that everybody has got something…but what will we do with it?  Will we wallow in self-pity…and succumb to the devil’s desire that we turn our back on God and/or blame Him for our troubles?  Will our illness, grief, sadness, injury, or challenge of any sort be what defines us?  Will we use it as a crutch and an excuse for everything from laziness to complacency to out-and-out misbehaving?

Or will we say, “You know what?  I can handle anything with God.  He is all I need.  His power shows up best in weak people…so I must be one of His most shining examples!”  God does not “cause” bad things to happen to us to break our spirit and drag us down into the pit.  He “allows” these things to fortify us in His strength.  Because of this, when “bad things happen to good people,” we can say with confidence…”Why not me?  God’s got this!”

I know that there are days and situations for all of us where we fall to our knees and say, “You’ve got me this time, LORD.  This is simply TOO MUCH!”  But I’m here to remind all of us today – myself included – that it is NEVER too much for God!

Whatever your “thorn in the side” today, consider it a reminder from God that He is in complete control.  Trust Him to manage this for you…and glorify Him as a living demonstration of Christ’s power.  Depend on God for everything, full of confidence that He’s got this…and YOU…because He truly has.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: