Daily Devotional for October 15, 2015

Hebrews 11:1
What is faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Leap of faith…faith-based initiatives and organizations…faith ministries…childlike faith…”have faith”…”keep the faith”...walk by faith…we throw this word “faith” around pretty freely and broadly.  But what do we truly believe?  What does faith mean in our everyday lives?

We’ve all heard this scripture from Hebrews that pretty well defines the word “faith.”  But how do we demonstrate and explain Christian faith to others…particularly those who are skeptical?  In my own life, I believe God has allowed me to experience some “stuff” so that I have a base for sharing my faith with others.  This is part of what I try to do with these daily devotionals. 

I am genetically wired to worry.  It’s just what we do in my family.  When I was little, I worried about tornadoes, because my grandmother instilled a healthy (and experience-based) fear of them in my siblings and me.  And now, Timothy has begun to worry about tornadoes after participating in a few drills at school and learning about weather and storms.  Despite my best efforts to assure him that we have safe places to ride out any potential storms, he may just have to experience one firsthand to totally believe this.

But wait…isn’t that the opposite of faith?  Isn’t faith about believing we are safe and protected without physical proof?  Yes.  But sometimes, we have to go through something difficult and see firsthand how God provides before we can trust Him for the unseen things yet to come.  As I share my faith with others, I am able to say, “God saw me through ABC”…”He delivered me from XYZ”…”God protected me in this situation and solved that problem…and I know that He will do the same again and again – for me AND for you!”

I won’t say that I never worry any more…that I “keep the faith” every minute of the day. I have my moments just like we all do. But I try to quickly capture anxious thoughts and doubts and claim the promises of God to handle all things in my life and in the lives of others.  I know that sometimes I need a “gentle reminder” of how well He cares for me in order to further strengthen my faith for things to come.

Whatever you are facing today, “keep the faith!”  Believe that God is in complete control and that He will never give you more than you can handle – with His help and presence!  When troubles come, ask God to show you how He is using them to strengthen you – and your trust in Him.  Learn to use these situations to share with others how God has sheltered and guided you through even the roughest patches of life – and help them build up their own faith.  And keep believing.  What God has already done…He will do again – and then some! 

Build on your past to shore up your future as you learn to increasingly “walk in faith” every single day.  God’s got this!  My prayer is that we would all grow in confidence and strengthen our “faith muscle” – and that we would begin today.  Are you in?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: