Daily Devotional for October 14, 2015

Galatians 6:9
Don’t get tired of helping others. You will be rewarded when the time is right, if you don’t give up.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When my Mam-ma Polly was well into her nineties, she still did more for others than most people I knew.  There was always room for one more at her table.  She prayed for others and attended as many church services and events as possible.  I still remember one fall when I took silk flowers and “fall fabric” and decorations to her so that she and her friend Ruby (also in her nineties) could decorate a booth for their church’s fall festival/fundraiser.  She was forever “seeing after” a neighbor or friend.

Of course, because Mam-ma no longer could drive, she often asked me (or someone from her church) to make her deliveries for her.  I remember once when she made vegetable soup for a cousin who was not well, and I asked her why she thought SHE needed to do this.  She said, “Well, I think of all that this family has done for me, and I just have to do this for them.”  What goes around…comes around!

I find that a lot of the things that my grandmother did for other people are resulting in blessings for me and my family even now…some 2½ years after her passing.  People will comment about her generosity…her faith and strength…her goodness.  As they tend to us and do kind things for us…pray for us and encourage us in our daily living, I see the rewards that are a direct result of my grandmother’s perseverance to help others.  She left a legacy that has not gone unnoticed.

My grandmother taught me so much…but one of her unending lessons was that of doing for others.  My mother offers this same example in many ways, and they are being returned to her now, as she faces a major illness.  In the words attributed to John Wesley, these Godly examples have shown us how to… “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”

These are sound words to live by, regardless of who said them…and my mother and grandmother – and other people of faith in my circle of influence – have given me plenty of examples of how to do this – and the rewards that are produced. Even if we were never rewarded (which is pretty impossible), we should do this because God has called us to serve in whatever way we can – whenever we can.  We should do this out of a deep desire to honor Him and all of the ways that He blesses us each and every day.

I am determined to push forward…to quit worrying about when it is “my turn” and focus on the missions at hand.  Perhaps those who come after me will reap the rewards of my efforts.  Either way, I know that God is calling me to never grow weary of helping others.  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: