Daily Devotional for October 3, 2015

Romans 2:1-4
Some of you accuse others of doing wrong. But there is no excuse for what you do. When you judge others, you condemn yourselves, because you are guilty of doing the very same things. We know that God is right to judge everyone who behaves in this way. Do you really think God won’t punish you, when you behave exactly like the people you accuse? You surely don’t think much of God’s wonderful goodness or of his patience and willingness to put up with you. Don’t you know that the reason God is good to you is because he wants you to turn to him?

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
       
Our world seems to have become the “Land of Small Favors, Privileges and Special Treatment.”  The perception for many is that it’s all in who you know!  And maybe this is true.  We often get and criticize those who practice “The Name-dropping Game”…until we need a favor.  And then the scramble is on to find someone who knows someone who can help us!

We have a bad habit of teaching our kids to grow up to be “somebodies”…but not in a good way.  We want them to aspire to be like a well-known athlete, actor, supermodel, or performer.  We suggest that they may someday be President!  What we fail to account for is the humanity of each and every one of us…the fact that we all have faults, problems, challenges.  We all make mistakes…and yes, we all judge others.

The irony is that the very celebrities and notables we aspire to emulate are the ones we so readily criticize.  Okay, so maybe you never got drunk at a party and drove your car up a telephone pole.  But haven’t you made some bad choices that could at least have potentially had dire consequences?  Maybe you don’t curse and publicly criticize others…but do you point at people on your TV screen and call them idiots and other names?  Maybe you have not leaked information that could jeopardize national security…but haven’t you spread a juicy nugget or two of gossip at one time or another?

Do you think that what you say and do doesn’t matter if no one sees or hears it…or if “no one gets hurt” by it?  Do you understand that God knows…and He is hurt when you judge another of His children? 

I am going to be profoundly honest with you…this is very hard for me.  I am quick to judge others…at least in the privacy of my own home and in my own heart.  I am very much a work in progress.  But I have experienced the sting of judgment in my own life…toward myself and members of my family and friends… and with regard to my faith and my values. And I am committed to changing how I treat others because of it. 

My prayer for today goes like this…
God, I don’t know how/why you put up with me.  I judge others, and I am critical.  I cannot see that what I think, say and do toward others…someone probably thinks, says and does toward me.  I know how much this hurts…how wrong it is…yet I have trouble stopping the cycle.  Please give me your courage and strength.  Help me to be more loving of others…more understanding and compassionate.  Give me YOUR wisdom and a heart for ALL of your people.  Help me to refrain from expecting special treatment – because of who I know, AND…because I am YOUR child.  Help me to recognize that each and every person is special to you and just as “entitled” to your love and care as I am.  Forgive me for judgments and critical thoughts, words and actions.  Make me more like Jesus every day.  I thank you for loving me in spite of these shortcomings…and I give you all the praise and glory.  Amen.
Are you ready to turn to God and experience more of His goodness?  Will you join me in this prayer and make a renewed effort to stop judging others?

©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: