Daily Devotional for October 6, 2015

1 Corinthians 16:19-20
Haven’t you yet learned that your body is the home of the Holy Spirit God gave you, and that he lives within you? Your own body does not belong to you. For God has bought you with a great price. So use every part of your body to give glory back to God because he owns it.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Sunday afternoon, I played “Washing Machine” in the pool with Timothy, Zola, and Nathan.  FYI…this is a game best played “one-on-one!”  Basically, I assumed a wide stance on the pool floor, wrapped my arms around all three children and held onto their lifejackets…and “agitated” them back and forth, then bounced us all up and down. 

Two days later, I feel the results in my shoulders and upper back… in my legs and hips…and basically, all over!  Very clearly, I hear God telling me…”You’re too old for that, Sister!  But you had better find other ways to keep up your strength, so that you can keep up with these three little fireballs!” 

I don’t share this to complain about my “ailment.”  God has blessed me with great health, and I have no room to fuss about anything.  I know so many who have genuine aches and pains…maladies that are truly impacting their quality of life.  Many people, including my own mother, are facing life-altering illnesses like cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS, and more.  Others are debilitated by strokes, accidents that brought the sudden onset of a myriad of problems, and health concerns that have changed their lives forever – sometimes in an instant.  I watched an interview with a young woman who survived a bullet to the spine during the recent shooting in Oregon, and I heard her say that she would never take a minute of her life for granted again…because she stared death in the face.

The point is this…many will reference this chapter of 1 Corinthians and talk about our body with relation to sexual purity.  But there is so much more to the Apostle Paul’s message.  Our bodies truly do belong to God.  And while I refuse to believe that He causes ailments and injuries – particularly as a form of “punishment,” I do believe that God looks at what will befall us and says, “Okay…how will I use this for my glory?  How will I strengthen ABC and those who know him/her through this experience?”  I believe that God gives us an opportunity to say, “LORD…this is YOUR vessel…show me how to use it to further Your kingdom.”

This is how you see people move forward in life as if everything was perfectly fine, even when their bodies are literally falling apart!  This grace and strength is what should propel each of us forward…encourage us to take the best care of our bodies that we can…and glorify God when illness and injury come our way.  As Paul reminds us in this passage, God paid a tremendous price for us.  We are each precious and valuable to Him.  It’s time we acted like we believe this!

Take stock of your own life today and see where you are treating your body with less respect and honor than you should.  Discover where you are griping and complaining instead of looking for a way to turn your ailment into a blessing - or an opportunity to share how powerful God’s Holy Spirit is within you.  And listen to your body – and to God’s voice.  We are pretty much the “occupant” – and God is the “Landlord.”  Maybe the “Washing Machine” game needs to be replaced with “London Bridge” or something less strenuous that won’t cause so much “wear and tear” on His property!

Are you a good tenant of the body God has loaned you?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: