Daily Devotional for October 26, 2015

John 14:1
Jesus said to his disciples, “Don’t be worried! Have faith in God and have faith in me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Our three-year-old nephew, Nathan, has a fistful of plastic superheroes that are his almost constant companions at our house.  These include Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, a small “bat signal” and a blue Lego man he calls “Blue Man.”  He “earned” these for good behavior earlier in the spring/summer, and he carries them around throughout the house as he plays. And he always sleeps with them.

Nathan stays with us on Mondays and Fridays while his parents work.  We have a routine of play and activities all morning, followed by an early lunch, a warm bath, story time…and about a 3-hour nap.  While Nathan plays in the tub, I gather books to read, lay out his pajamas, and prepare our bed with his favorite blanket, the superheroes, and a couple of stuffed animals he requires before he will settle in and sleep.  Today, I could NOT locate Batman. 

I searched high and low. The black-clad superhero was last seen in our living room, but I could not locate him. I hoped that Nathan would not notice.  Ha!  What was I thinking?  He went with me to the living room to search, and we turned over the cushions and looked everywhere – no Batman.  Nathan began to sob.  I got other “Batman” figures…they were not the same.  He wanted his “superhero Batman,” as he called it.  I assured him that…”Batman is here…and I will find him.”  I told him…”Trust me…while you sleep, I will find him and bring him to you.”

Finally, I was able to convince the little guy to settle in for story time and some PBS TV programs…and I returned to the living room to search.  WHERE was that crazy little figurine?  I retraced every single step, and suddenly, there he lay…totally camouflaged on the cushion of one of my chairs…almost in plain sight, but just obscure enough to be overlooked.  I took Batman to Nathan, and he was one happy and relieved little napper!

When I read these words from Jesus in John 14, I thought of Nathan’s reaction when I promised to find his Batman figurine.  I kept telling him that…“I promise, I will find him.”  And Nathan kept saying, “No, you won’t!  I can’t sleep without him!”  How many times has Jesus assured us that He is with us…and we have continued to wring our hands and worry – and essentially say, “No, you’re not!”

The time has come for us to understand once and for all that there will be times when we cannot readily see Jesus.  He may be right in front of us…like a totally black-clad superhero figurine on a burgundy-printed chair cushion.  He may seem to be invisible.  But He is THERE!  Jesus NEVER leaves us!  Sometimes when we are looking for Him, he is right beside us…and we simply do not recognize Him.  It’s time for us to stop wringing our hands and “working” our worries…to trust Him to do what He has promised…to believe that Jesus really does have us in the palm of His hand. 

Stop worrying…have faith in God through the promises of Jesus Christ.  Believe that He has everything under control – in this lifetime and into Eternity. Like a tired 3-year-old, relax and drift sweetly off to sleep.  Rest well…and trust that Jesus is handling everything, whether readily visible or behind the scenes…because He truly is.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: