Daily Devotional for October 8, 2015

1 Peter 5:6-7
If you will humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, in his good time he will lift you up.

Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This morning, my mother began chemotherapy treatments for what is suspected to be ovarian cancer.  More tests are necessary to be certain of the origin…but there is no question that she is battling “the beast.”  As Mom said to someone in a Facebook response, the medical staff will virtually be pumping poison into her body to kill the cancer…and there can’t help but be side effects and the potential for negative ramifications. 

My mother is one of the most faith-filled people I know.  She would not allow anyone except her husband to accompany her this morning, so I have waited at home – and prayed - for the “report.”  I envisioned my mother walking bravely into the outpatient wing of our local hospital this morning, like countless patients before her.  She is facing headlong whatever lies ahead…and she has told us over and over, “No matter what…it will be okay.  God is in control.”

But this is happening to my mother.  As much as I love and care for my friends and other family members who have experienced cancer, other illnesses, injuries and challenges…this is very real and personal for me now.  And I will be honest…I’ve been a little more than worried.  I know all of the things that God promises…and that my mother has taught me.  I’ve experienced God’s unfailing love and care…His perfect timing…His mighty hand and loving attention to every detail.  But I am human, so of course, I have done a little hand-wringing.

Does this make me weak and less of a Christian?  I don’t think so. And when you worry, it doesn’t necessarily diminish your faith, either.  Now, we must not hang out too long in the “Land of Worries and Fears,” but I believe that God can actually use a little side-trip there to strengthen us in our faith.  He understands our humanity…our penchant to “go there.”  And I believe that He is calling to us…saying, “Hey, YOU!  Look over here! I’m more than ready and able to take care of this for you.  All you have to do is turn around and come back over here next to me!”  And that is what I am going to do. 

I’ve had my momentary panic attack…I’ve expressed my fears and worries to God…and now I am going to let Him have them.  I know that whatever He does with them will be perfect…that He truly is holding my mother – and all of us – in the palm of His hand.  I am confident that He has sent angels to surround us and attend to our every need.  And I KNOW that He is doing this for you, as well. 

Won’t you let go and let God have your worries and fears today? Are you ready to turn around and run straight into His arms and experience His amazing love and care?  Do you truly understand that with God, everything will be okay – no matter what happens?  Isn’t it time to quit wringing our hands and fold them together in a prayer of trust?  Will this be the moment that you turn around and run back to God and let Him handle the heavy stuff? Don’t you think it should be?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: