Daily Devotional for October 11, 2015

October 11 ~ Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of heart that comes from Christ be always present in your hearts and lives, for this is your responsibility and privilege as members of his body. And always be thankful.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Timothy and I have had several conversations lately about tattling.  He is six…his younger sister and brother are 4 and 3 – just enough age difference that they often get on his last nerve!  And he is quick to report to any adult within earshot that “he bothered my things,” or “she’s touching me.”  Timmy’s Taekwondo instructor has assured him that “I’m aware of it!  I will handle it.”  I’ve warned Timothy that Mr. Roy will make him do pushups if he keeps tattling…and he may just have to do a few to really learn this lesson!

Part of growing up is learning to get along.  And I get it…when my sister, brother and I were young, we fought like cats and dogs!  There is a reason they call it “sibling rivalry!”  But as we age and mature, we are supposed to learn to tolerate one another – to forgive mistakes and overlook quirks and differences. 

I have to say, this is truly hard – even for us as adults.  We get irritated with others.  We worry and stew over what they have said and done…we are aggravated, frustrated, and just plain mad sometimes!  And we don’t stop to consider that none of these represent a heart filled with the peace that comes from Christ!  I can hear some of you now…”But I just need a little time to be mad!”  No, you don’t.  You’re not six…and besides, giving the devil even a “little time” to control your heart opens the door for him to take an even bigger space – for an even longer time!  We cannot do this!

I’m definitely a work in progress in this area – with “work” being the operative word.  I have to truly stay saturated in God’s word, in prayer, and in a focused mind and heart in order not to be affected by the devil’s attempt to irritate or frustrate me in some way.  I thank God every day for giving me Jesus…and for the safety and refuge I find in Him.  I am grateful that I don’t have to be mad and angry – upset and agitated.  I can call, “Come, Holy Spirit!” and He will calm me and remove my worries and aggravations.

If you have to choose between peace and worry, which wins in your life?  How many times do we have to relearn this lesson?  Don’t you want to feel the calm serenity of Jesus Christ filling your heart in all situations?  Will this be the day that you take the necessary steps to make that happen? 


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: