Daily Devotional for October 27, 2015

John 14:26-27
But when the Father sends the Comforter instead of me—and by the Comforter I mean the Holy Spirit—he will teach you much, as well as remind you of everything I myself have told you.

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn’t fragile like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of TyndalePublishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

We’re headed toward that time of year when we start to think a lot about gifts…as in “What will I get XYZ for Christmas?” Retailers are more than ready to offer suggestions about how we should spend our money – and what would be the best present for Grandma or Jimmy!  Often, we are encouraged to give something expendable…food, cologne and toiletries, candles and room fragrances, or coloring/activity books and art supplies that are quickly used, so that there is a built-in urge to buy more!

I like to give lasting gifts…a keepsake that someone will treasure for a long time.  A couple of years ago, my cousin Natalie gave me a leather bracelet for my birthday that says, “only love today.”  It’s a reminder that God is with me…that for this day, He wants me to focus on operating in love.  This is also a subtle reminder that we are only to concern ourselves with one day at a time.  I wear this bracelet almost every day, and it does indeed remind me that God’s Holy Spirit is with me, guiding me to walk in love.  It also reminds me of my sweet cousin and our special bond.

Another lasting gift is my wedding band.  I have worn it for more than 41 years now, and it reminds me of the promises that Greg and I have made…and of how much we love each other.  When I look at that gold band, I am comforted by the peace of our enduring love and commitment to each other.  Whether we are together or not, I feel Greg’s presence and devotion every single moment.

The Holy Spirit is not something that we wear like a bracelet or a wedding band, but His presence in our heart is no less profound or impactful.  God’s Holy Spirit is most certainly not an expendable gift, like food or perfume.  His is the gentle voice you hear suggesting that you take this path or that…reminding you to be still and “let it go”…calming you in the midst of something that has you in a tizzy or a major panic. His peace is everlasting…not like the momentary relief or exhilaration that we feel after a happy incident.

The peace of the Holy Spirit is that inner calm that says, “You can do this!  You’ve got this!  I’m right here beside you, and everything will be okay.”  The peace of the Holy Spirit allows us to be calm in the face of adversity…to say, “This is going to be okay” – and mean it!  Does this mean there will never be times of temporary panic…that we will not be affected by grief, pain and suffering…that we won’t ever experience troubles?  Absolutely not!

But when we “wear” the Holy Spirit in our hearts and listen for His voice, we always feel God’s presence.  We know that He is working – often behind the scenes – to make a way where we cannot see one.  We understand that God wants us to put one foot in front of the other and keep walking…and to know that He will carry us when the steps are too difficult.  He wants us to “be still and know” that He is God…and to experience lasting peace that only He can give.

I still give baked goods and “temporary” gifts to others…and there is no such thing as a “bad gift” shared in the spirit of love.  But the best gift we’ll ever receive is Salvation in Jesus Christ… the presence of His Holy Spirit that follows…and the peace that He brings. Have you received this gift for yourself?  Isn’t it time that you did?  Ask Jesus to forgive your sins…to be the LORD and Savior of your life…and then invite His Holy Spirit to dwell in your heart.  Call on Him by saying, “Come, Holy Spirit!”…and welcome the peace that He brings forever and ever.

 
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: