Daily Devotional for October 17, 2015

Isaiah 40:31
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This passage has had special meaning for me since the early 1980s, when my mother asked me to design a cross-stitch pattern to include these words. I can’t remember if she stitched it or I did, but the piece was framed and hangs above her desk today. 

This verse is a favorite for many and was even featured in the movie, “Chariots of Fire*,” which tells the true story of two British athletes who competed in the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris.  Harold Abrahams – a Jew – was set to run against Eric Liddell, known as the “Flying Scotsman,” in the 100-meter race.  However, Liddell discovered that the race was to be held on Sunday, and this conflicted with his Christian convictions to keep the Sabbath for worship. 

Arrangements were made for Liddell to switch and run in a 400-meter race on another day of the week…and he was given little hope of doing well in a sprint four times the distance with which he was familiar.  On the Sunday of the 100-meter race, Liddell delivered a sermon at the Paris Church of Scotland, in which he cited Isaiah 40:31.  And the following Tuesday, Liddell ran the race of his life, defeated all other runners in the “400,” and won the gold medal.  In the movie, a friend is shown handing Liddell a piece of paper before the start of the race that contained a scripture verse from 1 Samuel 2:30 and reminded him…“He that honors me, I will honor.”  

When I read Isaiah 40:31 today, I picture the scenes in “Chariots of Fire” where Liddell is racing down the beach with a sense of peace and complete abandon – and the victory scene when he completes his race in the Olympic Stadium of Colombes. Now, when I read this verse, I not only think of my mother’s needlework piece…I also envision the runners in the 1924 Olympics – and I am reminded of the steadfast faith and courage of Eric Liddell.

What does this mean for you and me today?  I believe that Liddell’s character in “Chariots of Fire” said this best...” I want to compare faith to running in a race. It's hard. It requires concentration of will, energy of soul. You experience elation when the winner breaks the tape - especially if you've got a bet on it. But how long does that last? You go home. Maybe your dinner's burnt. Maybe you haven't got a job. So who am I to say, ‘Believe, have faith,’ in the face of life's realities? I would like to give you something more permanent, but I can only point the way. I have no formula for winning the race. Everyone runs in her own way, or his own way. And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within. Jesus said, ‘Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you. If with all your hearts, you truly seek me, you shall ever surely find me.’ If you commit yourself to the love of Christ, then that is how you run a straight race.”

We are all in a “race” today.  Are you soaring on the wings of eagles and trusting God to carry you when you are too weak to continue?  Are you honoring God by your efforts…by your steadfast faith in Him to see you through anything and everything?  Isn’t it time you were?  Will this be the day that you allow God to power your race?  Don’t you think it should be?


©2015 Debbie Robus

* Chariots of Fire - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082158/

No comments: