Daily Devotional for October 5, 2015

Romans 3:23-24
All of us have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory. But God treats us much better than we deserve, and because of Christ Jesus, he freely accepts us and sets us free from our sins.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I promised the children a surprise after church if they would be really good and eat a good lunch.  And they all three did exactly that.  So I told them that we would go swimming at the community Aquatic Center.  We loaded our gear and headed for the pool.  The children were very good as we changed into our swimsuits.  We had a wonderful swim for an hour…every child was happy and well-behaved.  They got out of the pool afterward like little soldiers and politely took a seat as I dried them and wrapped them in towels. 

I had promised that when we got back into the car, each child who had behaved nicely would get a Lifesaver®.  All three children were excited about this sweet treat.  And then “the wheels fell off the bus.”  As we headed for the dressing room to change into our clothes, Zola ran – all the way down the pool deck to the dressing room door.  Despite my calling to her to stop, she continued.  So I told her, “No Lifesaver®.”  Of course, she cried…and buried her little head in her hands.  And the boys were quick to chime in…”We still get Lifesavers®…right?”  “If you are good,” I told them.  “Oh, we’re going to be good!” they both promised.  And they were…until we left the building.

Nathan was our “line leader,” and I told him to stop at the yellow stripe at the end of the sidewalk.  He took off running and ran right into the street.  Thankfully, the parking lot was virtually empty and there were no cars – and I knew this before we ever left the front door. Still, he had disobeyed.  I called to him to return and he continued running.  When he did turn around and come to me, I told him it was too late…no Lifesaver® for him, either.  I will tell you, it is terribly hard to give one child candy and watch the other two cry…even when you know it is for their own good.  I told the children that “this hurts my heart.”  And it really did!

Timothy asked, “Are you mad at me?”  I told him no…I was not mad at any of them…but I was disappointed that two had chosen to misbehave after we had experienced such a wonderful afternoon.  I knew that all three children were tired and ready for naps, but that was no excuse.  Nathan said through tears, “I want to go take a nap so I can mind better tomorrow!”  I almost melted…but he still didn’t get any candy.

Let me make this perfectly clear…I am NOT God – nor do I dare to compare myself to Him in any way.  But I do love these children like they were my own.  And when they make a mistake and misbehave, it breaks my heart.  In any given hour, each one of the three of them can have a misstep.  None of them are perfect…and neither are you and I.  We are all capable of sin, because we are human. The only “person” to ever live in the flesh who is perfect is Jesus Christ…and we simply cannot and will not ever be Him.

But we can strive to be more like Jesus.  We can work hard to please God…to behave nicely so that we get the “Lifesaver® blessings” and more that He so wants to give us each and every day.  We all fall short of God’s glory and expectations…but we must keep on trying to “mind better tomorrow,” just like this sweet little three-year-old.

I learn lessons from these children every day.  And this time, I am reminded that I serve a God of second, third, fourth and even hundredth chances…and I am humbled.  I fall short, just as you do…but God is there to pick me up and restore me when I acknowledge my faults and humbly strive to do better.  Have you felt God’s mercy and compassion over your own mistakes?  Have you committed to doing your best for Him in the future?  Will this be the day that you make that promise?  Don’t you think it should be?

   
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: