Daily Devotional for October 25, 2015

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This morning, I filled in for the teacher of the 2nd-3rd graders at Sunday school.  Our lesson was on making good choices…and the introductory premise was that even though it seems like “bad people” often “get away with murder”…while “good people” are allowed to suffer and struggle.  But this is not God’s plan at all.  The children were encouraged to continue to make good choices…to ask, “What would Jesus do?” - and to follow His example.  They were reminded that those who “suffer” with Jesus will be rewarded.

It’s especially hard for seven and eight-year-olds to understand how they are to continue to obey, serve, and trust God in all things when they see people around them who behave badly and seem to be rewarded.  There is a tremendous challenge in convincing these youngsters that “God wins in the end” – and those who serve with Him win also.  It’s hard for us as adults to understand this, too!  There are times when we are all tempted to cut corners or “go with the flow” - and just hope that we don’t get caught!

But as I pointed out this morning, God always knows everything!  I shared with them a story of an embarrassing experience I had in high school when a friend approached me one day with a very long snake.  The snake was dead, but I didn’t know that – and it really didn’t matter.  He knew how frightened I was of snakes, and his very intention was to scare the bejeepers out of me!  And it worked!  I took off running – in a new dress and wedge sandals - and I fell and probably landed with my skirt up over my head! 

My first, second and third thoughts were of revenge…and several mutual friends and I concocted a plot to sneak up behind this boy as he played the piano for our church youth choir and snip off his long, curly hair.  That would teach him!  When I shared this with the children this morning, there were chants of “Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!  Please tell us you did it!”  Well, I didn’t – much to their chagrin - and I am glad.  The boy had apologized, and while I felt at the time that he was not sincere, my misdeed would not have served any purpose.  We talked about the potential outcomes of such an action…loss of a friendship…further retaliation…serious trouble with adults.  In the end, I told the children I had something of a “WWJD moment.”

I also shared with the children that I can look back over my life and see how some who have mistreated me don’t seem to have had as many blessings in their life as I have experienced.  I’m not saying that God punished them directly for their bad behavior…but I do believe that He planned all along for my life – and my blessings.  And because of the ways that I have tried to honor Him in several instances, I believe the tide has turned in my favor as a result. 

I also pointed out that our definition of “good” is not the same as God’s.  This does not mean that we will live in mansions and drive fancy cars and, as one boy put it…”have MILLIONS of dollars!” What God feels is in our best interest may remain a mystery to us for a long time…maybe our entire earthly lifetime!  It may seem like God allows one bad thing after another to happen to us…but all the while, we may be missing the blessings and positive results that He is enacting as a result of our misfortune or suffering.

In the end, I believe this verse from Jeremiah 29 is profoundly important for us as Christians.  It is a hallmark of what God promises to each of us who “make good choices” and stay in the right “lane” - those who ask each and every day, “What would Jesus do?” and act accordingly.  I cling to this promise…I live in the hope that EVERYTHING that God has planned for me is perfect – even when I can’t see it.  I trust that for every blessing I experience along this journey called Life, God is waiting for me at the “Finish Line” with more rewards than I can possibly count…much less carry!  I’m trusting His plans…are you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: